Merging several verts at once. also, how to reduce verts

Hello. i could just done it manually, and that would probably been faster and easier than making this thread, but if i learn a way to do this, it will help me a lot later aswell…

i have marked some of the edges, and i want the marked edges to be merged together…
as you can see, i started on the first one…

i want to do this all the way around the neck, simply just cause there is waay more verts than what is nessasary. im making a full body model for a later project where ill make an animation. i dont have any problems with this many verts yet, but i just want to keep it as low as posible without affecting the model, cause when i have the whole body with subdevide surface x2 on, it does get slightly laggy. (full model not compleated, missing from knees and down)

i may also add other characters, and maybe a plot, so if you guys have any tips to reduce the amount of verts without affecting the model, then i would be more than happy!

Try this.

Here’s a method applicable not only to your question but extending it slightly to create all quad vert reduction or ‘wedging in’.

Images not very readable…

third installment!

Last installment!