Mesh distortion around edge loops (after correcting shading issues)

Hi Everyone,

I am having an issue with shading problems (in that I do not know what is causing them). I can correct them by adding edge loops (proximity loops), and this will fix the shading issues, but creates a distortion in the body of the object, causing it to become unsmooth. This picture should explain it better.

How can I correct the shading issues AND retain the smoothness in the mesh? Did the shading issues arise because I modeled incorrectly?

Here is my blend file:
BOAT-shadingproblems,add edge loop, texture problems.blend (492 KB)

you could add a few more loops
or check if verts smooth correct it
make certain also you normals are out and no doubles

try to add an edge split modifier!

happy bl

Ah, the good old edge loop conundrum. What you could try doing is add a couple of edge loops but keep them in the middle, than after that edge slide just the vertices that are next to where the cross pieces meet. that way you should get those creases running across the bottom of the hull. It’s something I do a lot i’m finding. I dunno if it’s technically the correct thing to do, but it usually works, though sometimes it doesnt and I end up scratching my head. Hopefuly an expert will chip in, and tell us the secret.

Make the seats a separate mesh since the geometry is too low to support the planks into the bow of the boat, hence why you get the nasty elongated error on the edges.
Also, remove some edge loops along the sides of the bow, it’s a bad idea to have edge loops close to each other on a curved surface since it will inevitably cause it to sharpen/crease the curve.
http://puu.sh/4P5qY.jpg

There were interior faces too.

BOAT-shadingproblems,add edge loop, texture problems_ja12.blend (470 KB)

Thank you all for helping solve the issue,

Netroxen: I never realized that the geometry of a mesh could be too low to support certain extensions of the geometry. Sure enough, I deleted the seats and made them from separate objects, and the shading issues vanished. (Just wondering, feel free to answer or not: how can you tell, when planning a model, if there will be enough geometry to support something? Is there any rule for this, or just trial and error?)

Thank you all again, I learned something from everyone’s comments.