Mesh shadows?

Hello, I’ve been modeling a R8 car and I’ve been careful with the triangulation of the meshes (I’m using cycles for render) and I noticed that I don’t know why my meshes get those shadows on the mesh itself instead of being consistent or uniform. It also can been seen when rendered. I’ve recalculated normals already, everything seems ok. No doubles or whatsoever, just don’t know why this happens.

Thank you!

Can you post a sample file?

From what i am seeing, there are some Ngons. There might also be none-planar faces and doubles but it is hard to tell without a file.

You should also consider all quad modeling to speed up your workflow, most of blenders tools also work better with quad bases modeling.

Check manual on Smoothing

I don’t have doubles and I’ve also flatten the meshes… If I smooth it I get a bad result. I just don’t get it why all of those ‘triangules’ and ‘quads’ are visible. I just don’t get it. What am I doing wrong? It doesn’t matter if I use triangles or quads I’ll get those shadows anyway.

Click this button then post a screenshot how the mesh looks with smooth shading on

with smooth

without

Well, one problem I can see is in the front your normals look like they are facing inwards. Try recalculating the normals so that they’re all outwards (CTRL+N)

try marking some edges as sharp (CTRL+E)

Normals already done, edges sharp I don’t see any difference. I don’t know how to get rid of those lines! Damn.

well, you could post a .blend file and maybe get some more help (hard to tell from a few pics) or another thing you could to is fully retopo it with quads (no tris or n-gons) since quads are much easier to work with than triangles.

You are adding too much geometry by hand. Create more low poly and then smooth it with subsurf modifier.

There it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9yiuau2z51aov1n/r8.blend?dl=0

I don’t know what else to do because I don’t want to start all over. :frowning:

I found that your normals in the front are inconsistent (you can tell by the way they’re shaded in comparison to the rest of the mesh.)
I would highly suggest you do a retopo of your car with quads (there’s tutorials for this.) When you subdivide your mesh right now you get some dramatic topology. This isn’t really optimal because it makes editing the mesh slower/difficult.

I’ve seen a few car tutorials online but haven’t tried them myself - they could provide some guidance

OK, there are definitely issues with your normals. You will want to display the normals and then select the faces that have them reversed and use “flip normals.”

It unfortunately also looks like you have some geometry issues that are not as easily fixed. You have some loops that should be essentially planar but are not. This will just take some work to clean up. Add a subsurf and see where you are at (you will definitely need a subsurf anyway at the end of the project to get smooth surfaces). You will need to clean up all of the bumpy/wrinkled geometry.

Also agree with other posters re: too much geometry and using quads. I think you will have better results in the long run (especially since you will need a subsurf) with these techniques.

So what do you mean with the quads thing? Can you provide an example? I’m not an expert on this. I just made it myself by drawing each point with the blueprints as the background.

Edit: In other words, what’s the best way to get it done well ?

Quads meaning a mesh made of only (or mostly) 4-sided polygons. I’m no expert on modeling cars, but you could box model it using a cube and subsurface modifier.

Extrude from the cube to get the general shapes and then use edge loops to add to that

I also have something like this, it seems ok on meshes but when it renders it gets ugly.

that’s a lot better, but it’s made of a lot of n-gons (more than 4 sides/verts) you can try dividing those n-gons into quads and add edge loops when necessary

What do you mean by add edge loops?

Ctrl+r will add an edge loop, which will let you add onto existing geometry

An edge loop is just a loop of edges.

Your problem might be due to doubles, even if you already used Remove Doubles. It doesn’t always get them all. If you pulled new vertices/edges/faces out of your geometry and inadvertently created double edges or vertices in the process, you might have to go in and manually find and merge them. You can tell where they are by the shadows you’re having a problem with. Go in and select a vertex that’s at the edge of the darkest area of the shadow and pull it out to see if there’s another vertex point at that spot. If there is, box-select the area and merge them. The shadow should disappear.