MESHmachine

rockwall1.blend (965.4 KB)

It’s not clear what you did, but these objects are not real stash objects.

Stash objects are marked as such by a property called obj.MM.isstashobj.
MESHmachine sets, but never unsets this property. So it must have been unset be someone or something else, which is weird.

That’s then also the reason the orphan stash tools remain greyed out, because those ojects aren’t stash object according to the unset property.

If you can reproduce this behavior from a new scene, please record and post it or send me a link.

Or maybe, his scene was created with a pre-0.6.0 version? The property was called just obj.MM.isstash in that case. So it wouldn’t be surprising the stable release version doesn’t recognize these objects, but your original post made it sound like this is regular issue for you. Is it?

“Or maybe, his scene was created with a pre-0.6.0 version?”

Probably, can’t really remember since I noticed these fake stashes a couple of days ago.

“but your original post made it sound like this is regular issue for you. Is it?”

Oh no, sorry for misunderstanding, I was simply meaning that these couple ones refuted to go away.

I cant reproduce that behaviour btw, so the theory of “stashes made with pre-0.6.0 and not cleared them before upgrading to latest version” is well grounded.

Thanks for clearing that up! And remember in future, please report bugs or any other issues via email.

Also, to quote, just mark text and hit the quote button.

1 Like

I’m migrating whole work process to 2.8, but MESHmachine is needed.
There is some limit using non destructive boolean.

4 Likes

Machin3,
I was wondering, will ‘old’ plugs work with the new (hopefully soon) coming MESHmachine for 2.8?
With ‘old’ I mean current ones :wink:

Yes they will.

3 Likes

greatNews_AnimatedGif

7 Likes

damn abbreviations, got me confused…
:unamused: I know you know DM = Direct Modeling (HDA) (@ polycount) :wink:

PS
… and i officially despise this forum’s locations of Reply buttons
sincere apologies @yolao

1 Like

Yes, i have seen “Direct Modeling” for Houdini before, looks great.

pretty sure he was referring to DECALmachine: DECALmachine

Yes, of course. That is a screen shot from the comments of “DECALmachine 1.8 - Trailer” on YouTube.

Yup, I know (have, use both) :smile: expressed a momentary lapse in fusion - was confused for a bit

So, I’m currently on my coffe break at work, looking through ArtStation… and I stumbled upon this, more precisely the last comment there, or the full description here and I was wondering - maybe to put it on a MESHmachine wishlist? I don’t know if it would be possible to do something like that in blender, as it’s their own in-house script for 3DSMax. I will paste the relevant comment here, to save you some time:

HA HA!!! Very good question sir. We actually use an in-house script that we lovingly call the Auto-Normaliser.

It actually breaks the vertex normal and manipulate them to our liking. but the tool does more than that. it remembers, forever, the selection of chamfer on a given assets, then, you can add or subtract from that selection, and it keeps that selection alive no mater how we modify the mesh. it’s actually pretty good at keeping it coherent.

then when comes time to process the normal, we “process” the chamfer with the tool. In effect, it’s the equivalent of if your were splitting the vertex normals 90 degrees (or N degrees) to be parallel with the largest hard surface adjacent to the pair of index of a given edge. Those are always 2 edges chamfers by the way.

Normally, It can take a bit of time to do them manually, and especially to redo them after every fix we may do on an asset (vertex normal can be tricky to keep clean).

The Auto-normaliser probably saved us a full man/year of production (at least, compared to how we didi this in Human Revolution). As an example if you look at one of the car above, if we were to modify it, or build an lod, or… really anything other than straight up collapsing it as an editable mesh (instead of editable poly), you just process the chamfers and… about a minute later (the cars are heavy meshes to process), every vertex normal are split the way we want them.
it’s not “free” time wise, as you still need to define what is a chamfer or not, and what is a seamless smooth chamfer or a hard cut, and it does add to the vertex cost in memory, but it fits our style.

We could also map normal texture to simulate this but we are very tight in memory, so we would need to add extra cut in the mesh because there is no way we can map anything other than characters with a 0-1 unfolded texture map.

@MACHIN3 What do you think? Or is there perhaps an equivalent in blender that I’m not aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Looks to me like it’s just chamfered edges with custom, maybe weighted, normals. You can do the same with the bevel mod and the harden normals setting.

On the mesh level, you could do the same using DM’s old w-step tool, which will likely make some kind of reappearance in MESHmachine soon.

The most interesting thing I got from the post is the part where to tool apparently keeps track of the chamfered faces(selections) automatically, as you change the mesh. In w-step I managed that manually using a special material. In 2.80 this could be done using face maps instead, which I’m already in love with. Still wouldn’t be automatic though.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what I was interested in - to keep the normal values of chamfered / beveled faces in memory while you modify the mesh, and then just restore them on a click… Thanks for considering and explaining. :slight_smile:

EDIT:

On the mesh level, you could do the same using DM’s old w-step tool, which will likely make some kind of reappearance in MESHmachine soon.

Just re-read that! Oh my…

2 Likes

What about Meshmachine for blender 2.8? Will it be after release or before?
BTW, thanks for amazing addons!

I’ve been working on it for the past 4 weeks, see
https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=MESHmachine%20from%3Amachin3io&src=typd

12 Likes

Hello,
Does buying Meshmachine for 2,79 today include next v 2,8 update ?
Thank you !

No. Please see above posts.