Meshstats 1.2 - Polygon counts, n-gons & poles

Meshstats is a Blender addon that provides topological statistics for meshes.

• Display counts for tris, quads & ngons.
  • Display counts for e-poles (vertices connecting 5 edges), n-poles (vertices connecting 3 edges) and *-poles (vertices connecting 6 or more edges - fan center).
  • Set a polygon budget for mesh objects and display how much of it is utilized.
  • Highlight tris & ngons in the viewport. (in object mode only)
  • Highlight e-poles, n-poles & *-poles in the viewport. (in object mode only)

You need Blender 2.91 for version 1.2. If you are using an earlier version of Blender (>2.80 & <=2.90) you can download version 0.3

Download the addon here.

11 Likes

Is it possible to see vertex cost and also total cost including things like hard edge splits / uv island splits?

I have a tool like this in 3ds max, with features above, but would be great to have in blender as well.

Thank you :pray:

Hi @Kickflipkid687,

I think both are possible. But since it would also mean a bit of performance cost (need to add at least one more loop) I would like to know the rationale before adding this. Do customers/studios set limits for vertices/edges for example?

1 Like

It can help display the ‘true’ cost of an asset. An asset with 5000 triangles or one with 5000 triangles and edge splits on every edge will perform very differently, as every edge split essentially adds a vertex.
Check this article: www.ericchadwick.com/examples/provost/byf2.html

Now, raw vertex count is rarely every still the biggest bottleneck, but it’s very useful to know anyway!

If it slows things down, could you have it be an optional toggle?

1 Like

Thanks @Michael_Knubben, I will check out the article.

BTW built-in statistics overlay display the correct vertex count. I just checked, it also reflects edge splits properly.

My initial idea was to distinguish tris, quads & ngons, in built-in statistics each one is a face. If possible I would like to not duplicate what’s available in vanilla Blender.

I would still like to hear if anyone got requirements with a vertex budget in it though?

Another question I have; how often do you check for tris/ngons/poles/budget utilization? Would it be counterproductive if you needed to press a button to update stats?

It doesn’t, right now. ‘Edge Split’ is a broader concept than just ‘these edges aren’t connected’. Wherever you add a hard edge (or just enable ‘Auto Smooth’) it adds to the raw vertex count but it’s not changed in the Statistics.

Pressing a button might be okay, but I’d mostly like to be able to set a budget and have it go red once it goes over. Not that I still do a lot of modeling that has such strict polygon budgets, mind, but some people do!

1 Like

Cool. Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding manual update of stats; I think I will keep it auto-update but require user to manually enable meshstats on a mesh. That way one can keep the addon enabled without impacting projects where polygon counting is not too important.

1 Like

I have just released version 1.1 of meshstats.

You can find the changes in CHANGELOG.

As usual your feedback is welcome.

I have just released version 1.2 of meshstats.

You can find the changes in CHANGELOG .

Your feedback is welcome.

1 Like

Yeah I mentioned edge / uv splits, as it can impact the real cost quite a lot, at least for the work I do.

Altho ultimately, for the game engine I use, we have to go by cost in KB in the end. Meaning the actual memory on final import / with vertex colors and so on.

But, with that said, having the vertex cost / etc that includes uv splits and so on is still something I rely on. I use 3ds max for part of my job , and we have a custom tool that does all this. But it’s definitely not close to real-time and would be ideal to not keep sending back and forth from blender to max to check.

I’ll download your latest version and see how it compares. Thank you!

1 Like

Hey @Kickflipkid687. Thanks for the info. I think vertex counts is out of scope for this addon. I wasn’t entirely certain in the beginning but now it is clear to me that this addon is primarily about topology.

Please give it a try if you haven’t. I worked on performance in this release, hopefully it doesn’t add perceptible delays to your normal workflow. I use it in my daily work. I go out of edit mode to check for tris & ngons, for my subsurf mesh.

1 Like

Cool. I will check it out.

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Hi, is there a function where if nothing is selected, it will default to showing the total number of polygons in the entire scene.

Or a checkbox that says “global” meaning even if I were to edit an object, it will always shows the total amount of polygons count in the ENTIRE scene instead of the selected current object that I am manipulating.

No, and I am reluctant to add this functionality. It could be useful in some scenes but OTOH it could cause performance issues in others. I have recently changed the defaults to disable calculation on meshes until the user explicitly enables it. I am guessing those of us working on low-poly meshes are also working on high-poly meshes from time to time.

Scene statistics show global values when you are in object mode. Is what you are looking for missing here?

Not sure, I will have to install it again to see if this was it, I don’t remember why I un-install it back then, maybe it was because there was no way to see the polygon count unless I enter into edit mode making me think the only way to know total polygon count of everything is to make a copy of the blend file so that I can control + J everything to then find out and I don’t want to do that.

If the add-on now have a way to show entire scene polygon count, it will be useful again for me. Thanks.

Update, installed the add-on and tried again: when nothing is selected, it shows “Not a Mesh”…
If I press A to select all, it only display the poly count of the active object ?
So to show total poly I have to Control + J everything ?

Yes, it would calculate and show stats for the active object.

So to show total poly I have to Control + J everything ?

You can do that. But I don’t understand why you don’t want to use Blender’s built-in statistics for this purpose?

Perhaps I can extend the functionality to display stats for the entire selection. It wouldn’t be a trivial change. But I can see the use case.

Please don’t make the effort on my accord, you are right, Blender’s stats would suffice for that :smiley:

1 Like