Meta-Rig for Manuel Bastioni Lab [Addon for an Addon]

Trying to rig an MB-Lab in 2.8, but I end up with a broken rig, anyone knows what i am doing wrong here?

Fixed. Fixed for MB-Lab 1.7.1.

I’m not sure what happened. I’m just guessing: Maybe Rigify had been updated to keep the naming/renaming consistent. (name.L, name.L.001, name.L.002 etc.)

1 Like

I’m not too sure about Rigify being updated, just checked their repo and the last time a commit was made was Dec. 20 of last year.

I’m going to test this out this weekend and see if this issue lies within the MB-Lab code. I had to do some patching for bugs that may have introduced more bugs (of course) just have not been able to pinpoint where just yet.

You don’t need to look for this in MB-Lab code. You did not change the vertex groups and bone names.

I think I mixed up the names in legacy mode. I’m going to fix this, again.

edit: Was my bad. This should work now in both modes, legacy or not.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter what went wrong, really, it all works fine now, thanks a bunch Daniel, you’re the best !

1 Like

Okay, made more tests and I get errors when I turn the arms into simple tentacles (full FK), other than that everything seems to be in order!

thanks for the addon.
Some notes: the twist bone and forearm vertex groups should be flipped on the mesh in the forearm area.

The neck/head is not working properly… i tried to fix it be removing one neck bone and renaming the appropiate vertex groups, but then I run into an anomaly i really can’t understand (Weigth paint anomaly)

If the vertex groups are mixed-up, then this is a bug.

I’ll backport Meta-Rig for MB-Lab to fix bugs and bring the option for legacy mode.
With this I’ll take a look at the spine and move some bones up to make the neck get it’s two bones back.

I wanted to ask, if someone needs a backport. Now I have my answer. :smile:

1 Like

I just recently reinstalled windows on my computer and tried reinstalling this in 2.79. When i try to enable the plugin i get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "A:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py", line 331, in enable
    mod = __import__(module_name)
  File "C:\Users\james\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\Rigify-Meta-Rig-for-MB-Lab-master\__init__.py", line 31, in <module>
    from . add_rig import RigifyMetaRigForMBLab_OT_add_rig
  File "C:\Users\james\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\Rigify-Meta-Rig-for-MB-Lab-master\add_rig.py", line 146
    bool_straight_legs : bpy.props.BoolProperty(name="Straight Legs",
                       ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Any ideas?

You’ve been successfully confused with Manuel-Bastioni-Lab, MB-Lab, 2.79, and 2.80. :wink:

From the error message I can see, that you tried to install an 2.80 add-on to Blender 2.79.

Meta-Rig-for-Manuel-Bastioni-Lab is for 2.79 and Manuel-Bastioni-Lab only.

Rigify-Meta-Rig-for-MB-Lab is for 2.80 and MB-Lab only.

I’ll edit the first post to make it more clear.

2 Likes

hahaha woops! I thought it would be something simple.

Thanks mate much appreciated!

1 Like

I am posting this here as well, just in case !

When I use super finger in the rigify I get screwy orientation for the widgets, does anyone else have this problem in 0.5.4 ?

I can’t tell what it is. The roll of the fingers in the meta rig looks fine. Do the fingers have the same roll as the parent finger bones?
I’ll take a closer look at it as soon as I can. I’m still sick. :tired_face:

No worries, take care of yourself ! :wink:

Orientation is wacked even if I dont turn on the super finger, when I rotate the fingers they look like rubber fingers going in all direction ! :slight_smile:

Other users reported the same problem on the MB-Lab thread, but again, no rush, take car of yourself first, the community needs you in good health, the rest can wait !

And again, thank you for all your hard work man, peoples dont say it enough, but we really appreciate it !

Thanks!

Can you describe what you did. I couldn’t reproduce the wacky fingers.

update 0.5.5:

• fixed: renaming in legacy mode for fingers

PS: Still coughing, but I’m fine.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the coughing, take a lot of liquid and sleep, as my granny used to say! :slight_smile:

I don’t do anything special, and I get same results with or without super fingers, here is a test file with regular fingers for you to have a look at, when you feel better! :wink:

wacky_hand_bones.blend.zip 13.92 MB

Got it. I’ll write a fix tomorrow or the day after.

You can fix this by hand for now:

• go to Pose Mode with the metarig
  • in the Bone tab set the Bone roll alignment to Manual for these bones: “f_index.01.L”, “f_middle.01.L”, “f_ring.01.L”, and “f_pinky.01.L” (same with right side)
1 Like

Works great, but you need to do the same on the thumbs as well!

If you turn on super fingers, you need to set Bone Roll Alignment to “X Manual”

update 0.5.6:

• fixed crooked fingers
  • face rig deleted by default; option to keep face rig
  • (optional) Finger Rig Type: limbs.super_finger (non-legacy)

Thumbs are included. I added an option for super fingers in non-legacy mode just for convenience. This option does nothing in legacy mode.

If you din’t have a cold I would kiss you! :rofl:
Thanks, Daniel, much appreciated! :+1: