Metaball Models - help needed

Is it possible to rig with armatures, models created with metaballs and make their limbs move ? If so how ? Please help me…

Does not seem to be possible. But I am no expert

Not metaballs in their original state, but you could convert them to meshes (Object mode, Alt-C) and animate. You lose all the meta-licious properties.

Not metaballs in their original state, but you could convert them to meshes (Object mode, Alt-C) and animate. You lose all the meta-licious properties

Can u be more explicit ? I tried what u suggested… once I try to covert it gives 2 options : convert and delete original / convert and keep original. Tried both !!But once the armatures are added, rigging is not takin place and I am not able to animate the parts :frowning:

Add/delete original lets you choose whether to delete the original meta-object or not. For now just delete the original for simplicity.

I’m not sure what you mean by “adding” armatures. You not only have to build the armature, you have to add it as a modifier to the mesh. Depending on how you set up the modifier, there’s any number of reasons why the armature is not affecting it (envelopes, vertex groups, etc). What method are you using?

I learned a lot from the advanced animation tutorials for 2.40 in the wiki:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Advanced_Tutorials/Advanced_Animation/Guided_tour/Mesh/Amodif

another good tute on rigging and skinning
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Flying_Bird_-Building_the_Rig
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Flying_Bird
-_Skinning

Hello tupulur:The good news: it is possible indeed, to rig object made with many metaballs.

1 - Add -> metaball then tab-key to exit edit mode
2 - Add a second metaball and tab-key
3 - Move the second metaball a little so that the centers are distant, but keeping the contact.
4 - Add armature : with 2 bones. enter pose mode.
5 - Now select the 1st metaball then shift-RMB the first bone (it’ll be blue) then ctrl-P a menu will show 2 choices: Bone or Object. you chose Bone.
You do the same with the 2nd meta and the 2nd bone .and you’re ready for fun.

Al: I had no idea that was possible, thank you for pointing it out. So cool.

finally some how know what they are talking about . I did not know you could do that al.
:wink:

I guess using the same logic you could rig a regular mesh. parent some metaballs to the mesh (such as duliverts). Put the mesh in a different layer from the cameral, metaballs, lamps etc. if animate the character using bones you should see the metaball only

when I get A chance I will try that I will let you know if that works. (assuming you do not beat me to it)

good luck :smiley:

by al : Hello tupulur:The good news: it is possible indeed, to rig object made with many metaballs.

Really greatful for ur guidance and I could do it !! :slight_smile:

As could be observed I am an absolute NewBie at the age of 70 to Bleder. While am ableto understand many of the manuals and tuts, I get stuck at times as many of them are based on earlier versions of Blender.

Now CD38 has said

I’m not sure what you mean by “adding” armatures. You not only have to build the armature, you have to add it as a modifier to the mesh.

I tried and failed. Can u or some one else take the trouble of explaining step-by-step how to apply an armatuer modifier to a simple mesh ? That will help many newbies like me a lot I feel.

I enjoy inter actin with this forum because even experts try to answer queries from people like me immediately.

thanx to all