Metal Gear Rex

In an effort to really get my teeth into some hard surface stuff, I’ve once again returned to my old favourite, the Metal Gear series.

This time I’ve decided to go big or go home. I’ll be doing Rexy baby herself in all her glory. Kind of. I have a ton of reference shots and very few are the same. That plays to my advantage in that I can be somewhat loose with all of the details and pick and choose a bit of what I like.

This is all really to teach myself the HopsCutter/Machin3 workflow. While I’m not really sure if I could get this thing down to low enough res for a real time, I’ll certainly be trying to keep it as low res as possible. Each section will be (hopefully) better than the last.

This is where I discovered the world of DecalMachines panelling tools. Pure bliss from here on out :grin:

I will try and dip in and out of this project a few times a week if possible. Obviously I want to take it to its conclusion, and perhaps even rig it and do a small animation, but let’s go one step at a time!!


I started on his rear junk today.

I’m finally getting to grips with BoxCutter, although I think I had better download the new version before I miss out on any new updates and learn old practices. Still, it’s getting easier with every section.

I’ve a few more physical cuts that I want to do before I fill this out with Decals for the rest of the paneling and fittings. Maybe @masterxeon1001 could tell me as to how to approach the cuts I need to do.

If you look at the “knees”, you will see that there are slots there that hinge open on an edge. Right is closed, left is open. There are some of these types of cuts on the top section also. Should I just make the shape separately to get the right depth and what not, and then just use Hops to slice it out?

So, today’s renders.

Edit: I managed to have the time to add in a few more bits and bobs to the back. Nearly time for Decalmachine to work it’s magic.

1 Like

I managed to get a bit of time to squeeze in a few more details.

I have to say, I absolutely love, love, love @MACHIN3’s panel decaling tools. So bloody nice, even if I still can’t use them totally correctly.

I’ll move on to the “spine/neck” part next I think. I’ll come back to the radar dome and rail gun at a later stage I think. This baby needs some legs to go with that booty!


Started the mid section and the “neck” pieces. I’ll definitely redo the back neck piece as I tried to do some fancy boolean crap and then a clean up and it didn’t exactly turn out as planned. I followed the Nitrox video 6 for the cuts, but, well, I didn’t quite make it :sweat_smile:

I also have to figure out how the neck pieces are connect to the top pieces so I can rig it. There isn’t a whole lot of movement, just a bit of back and forth and maybe some slight rotation, but I’ll have to see how many axis I want to do the rotation. Maybe I’ll have to play through MGS1 to get to the battle to see how he moves :fist_right:

I still think the back part is lacking some overall features. Maybe I’ll just fire in a ton more paneling at some point.

Anyway, feedback is always welcome.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how it resembles a certain star ship from a particular angle.

Finally had some time after a week to come back and add a few more details to this.

I built his “penis” gun, added a connection to the head (I had been mulling over how to do that for a while as I wanted it to be as real as possible. In the end it wouldn’t be feasible in real life, but it’s something I can rig and limit the movement as to whats in the game.), made some piston stuff for the neck, and, in general, just tweaked a few things.

I think that overall I could do with more paneling and some more screw and bolt fittings here and there, but I’ll probably just move on to the legs next as I’m excited as it’s taking shape.

1 Like

Started on the legs.

I actually had the bulk of the leg done last week and only came here to post a small update, but I guess I had better show off all of the thigh now.

Two weeks of actual real work. Ugh. That meant I couldn’t work on little Rex here for a bit. I had some nice Boxcutter fun on the leg shield parts, and I even managed some suddiv modelling on the tiny flap things between the legs and main body.

Small additions, but nice ones.

I just noticed I forgot to mirror the bottom of the leg across. Too late for tonight. Blender is already closed.

Leg day! Grrr!

The main part of the legs are done. I just have to finish the back part of them and then I can move them into the proper position. I might have to fix the scaling a little bit, but I don’t think they’re too far off. I don’t think the decal works on the underside, so I may have to model something, or try and model a more detailed decal myself.

I also tweaked the head part. I noticed that my “nose” was too square after looking at some more reference. That was a pain to fix and isn’t perfect, but it works okay now and I’m much happier with it.

I also messed with the material and added some edgewear just for some fun.

Back of the legs done, plus some “pistons” inside the legs for when they slide open. Thinned the legs a bit too, just to help with the overall feel and scale of it.

1 Like

Tidied her up a bit, moved the legs into position, slimmed her a tad more, and started on the radar dome.