Metal

I am having trouble finding out how to make a ‘metal’ or ‘chrome’ effect. i have looked for tutorials off of google, but i cant seem to find a good one that i understand. Yes, i have looked at the one in elysiun also. Can someone explain it to me, or give me a link to a good tutorial?

thanks,

nate

the tuts are mostly pre raytracing. jusy crank up raymir, and experiment with the settings, also the mirror color, and the specularity color. remember that with something reflective, the look of it will depend largely on the environment it is reflecting.

what is a good way to make a good environment setting; is it ideal just to add 4 planes like a wall?

It just depends,…sometimes the world settings are sufficient,…sometimes a cube, or a sphere with the normals flipped will do. I mean for the most part though, just whatever is lying around, in terms of objects. The general scene.
<edit> btw be sure to turn the hardness up in materials for a sharper reflection.

ok, thanks.

i am working on my olympic torch for the weekend challenge

if you want to reflect fire, the raytracer won’t work, you’ll have to do a forum search for ‘env mapping’

Envmapping is much faster and more versatile most of the time anyway. You should only use raytracing if you REALLY need it.

Won’t raytracing work even if you enable the unified render? It’s kind of a bummer that it can’t reflect particles.

It doesn’t see neither Halos nor Spothalos.

Env Maping can over come this limitation though?

Yes. It can also create blurry reflections, which is not possible with raytracing.

It can be easily done by adding a slight nor map to the material though.

Martin

theeth: I actually tried that, maybe I didn’t fiddle enough with the parameters to get a decent blurred reflection.

I did some tests, and you’re right. Adding a nor map causes distortions, but not a blurred look like a high filter value would give.

Martin

I’m guessing that the raytracing code doesn’t take enough “samples” of the normals while rendering a surface.

intrr, you should qualify that statement. The way you wrote it, it sounds like you’re saying raytracing can’t do blurry reflections, which isn’t the case. Blender’s raytracer can’t do soft reflections, but most raytracers can, yafray for instance.

Sorry. As you figured out correctly, I meant “Blender’s raytracing” when I said “raytracing”. :slight_smile: