Micro$oft's "Sketchup" ???

http://maps.live.com/Help/en-us/VE3DVIADownload.htm

and a related article here.

Interesting that MS would do that.
Google has had that for a while, I can’t help but wonder how M$ can make money from it.
Probably from advertising. ( I’m starting to sound cynical, aren’t I :wink: )
http://sketchup.google.com/3dbuildvideos.html

I think this Beta version for testing and the real version will be sold.

it is the cheezyest application I have ever used, this will make lots of potential 3d artists totally worthless. :frowning:

I’d argue that the max artistic waste is at the other (high) end of the spectrum though. (I jest of course).

I downloaded.
When I started installation, it required network connection. After that It took 1 hours on broadband to downloaded and install. After the completion of installation, it did not run. I have do remove the app with control Panel on my XP. My 1 hours of broad band is gone to waste.

I tried installing too, and when it fired up it said that I needed M$ Live Earth (or something like that) requiring that I import a model from there and refused to continue, like modeling something from scratch. Sucked. I’m not gonna go installing a bunch of other crap just to test out their POS app (even if it was created by the same company that makes my favorite CAD app.)

At least with Sketchup free you can do some stuff and get it into blender if you want without requiring Google Earth.

I tried sketchup once, and it’s terrible. Extremely limited, and there is no control over topography at all. I uninstalled it actually. A friend of mine bought a little island or plot of virtual land or something in an online ‘game’ called 2nd Life, that also uses it’s own modelling app, and it’s the same deal, really crappy modelling program. It’s a wonder these two things, and other apps don’t have an import function for blend, or obj. I told him to bug the staff to get such functionality. Why would anyone bother upgrading sketchup though…it would make more sense to start again from the ground up. You know…I think Blender was actually being developed by microsoft, originally, ( by NaN? ) but MS put them in deep freeze, and so, blender was purchased by its users and became open source. Ha! In your face, Gates! Anyway, compared to Blender or Wings, Sketchup is like some artifact from the era or the dinosaurs.

Just stumbled across this thread. SketchUp ain’t crap, in fact it’s filled a market that blender, Max, Modo and any other modelling package you care to mention hasn’t filled and that’s bread and butter architectural work, not high end Viz, although SketchUP paired with VRay is looking sweet, but basic transfer of design ideas in 3D form. It’s a hell of a lot cheaper than Max or Modo and the modelling tools are intuitive for non 3D geek users. I remember shunning SU years ago when it first came out because it didn’t fit the mould of all the other 3D modelling apps out there at the time and even now and that’s it’s strength, simplicity and intuitiveness. BTW I don’t use it at all, prefer blender but SU ain’t crap by a long way.

Take a look, sketchup is enabling fast simple architectural concepts to be realised by non 3D modelling geeks and results are what matter, in the real world, not f–king topology and then not been able to get a top class render out.

Or rendering that takes 20 hrs to get a single image comparible to VRay. SU + VRay is sweet.

http://asgvis.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=58&g2_itemId=5342&g2_GALLERYSID=86fb22c69befd9b193420ee66621d7b7

Just stumbled across this thread. SketchUp ain’t crap, in fact it’s filled a market that blender, Max, Modo and any other modelling package you care to mention hasn’t filled and that’s bread and butter architectural work, not high end Viz, although SketchUP paired with VRay is looking sweet, but basic transfer of design ideas in 3D form. It’s a hell of a lot cheaper than Max or Modo and fills the gap. BTW I don’t use it at all, prefer blender but SU ain’t crap by a long way.
Take a look, sketchup is enabling fast simple architectural concepts to be realised by non 3D modelling geeks and results are what matter, in the real world, not f–king topology and then not been able to get a top class render out.
Or rendering that takes 20 hrs to get a single image comparible to VRay. SU + VRay is sweet.
http://asgvis.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=58&g2_itemId=5342&g2_GALLERYSID=86fb22c69befd9b193420ee66621d7b7

It really all depends on what you’re using the 3D app for guys. If you’re trying to produce “Cars” or “Elephant’s Dream” using sketchup, then you’ve got an uphill battle. It works wonders for quick, free-flowing architectural designing, tho. (Designed to replace the diner napkin - thus, the “Sketch” in its name, eh?) On the other hand, doing architectural design with Wings, while possible, isn’t what it was intended to do. Kinda funny when you see by what standards a particular piece of software is judged. As to this Micro$haft crap, I judge it by all the entrapping bondage that the user is forced into just to use it, not by what its intended to model.

BTW, yellow. There’s an exporter for Sketchup to the Indigo renderer (Skindigo) that’s looking pretty good (tho not in terms of time savings, just $ savings :slight_smile: )

i suppose it has some usefullness, would be much cooler if it had some advanced options, though. and yeah, microsoft pisses me off as well.