Microcosm

http://www.artofinterpretation.com/images/microcosm-web-byrjt2007.jpg

Interpretations encouraged.

Thank you for looking,

RobertT

The glow effect you applied really does something for it.

Why does it, to me, look like the snow is a slight bit like styrofoam? It’s good anyway.

nice and festive, I like the snow, its not as detailed as your other ones tho

i don’t find any big idea here. it’s just a representational one. there is no interpretation needed. unless you explain why you entitled it microcosm.

MICROCOSM: " A small, representative system having analogies to a larger system in constitution, configuration, or development"

I like it. Simple scene, but the materials and lighting are great. The mood is fantastic here.

yes, very good.
Merry Christmas.
Worlds within Worlds.
The glass gives a feeling of depth or layers.
The ref/hdr map looks like a copy of the image, adding to the feeling.
Classy Christmas Card.
m.a.

If only Christmas could be contained within a tight glass ornament.

That’s a Cool Image.
I don’t make a clue of wath it is… but I’m feeling a suden desire for some icecreem hehe
Ho! and the snowmen reminds me of the PIXAR short KnickKnack :stuck_out_tongue:

My interpretation is…

reaches deep within soul

a SNOW GLOBE.
:smiley:
But yeah, it looks cool.

Cyborg Dragon: Thanks. Fake snow is inside and out, along with “real,” and there is snow like stars and the microcosm. When I think of a microcosm I must think also of a macrocosm which could somehow relate to this smaller world.

watchthis: Thanks. Details are done however are necessary to convey the ideas I have for a project. Some call for more while others need less. Sometimes more is more or less is more =)

camotech: Wherever possible I try to use titles to summarize all the thoughts that go into a piece. The title usually is settled upon before I start modeling, after all the conceptual work has been thought out. If I feel the idea is not strong and interesting enough, I cannot start the project. While I prefer not to explain everything in this project completely, your reply motivates me to share some of the major ideas that went into this: levels of awareness and reality, spheres within spheres, a “fake” snowman trapped in a snow globe becoming aware of real snow and a larger world and perhaps wanting to leave his limited world as sweet as it is yet artificial, illusions, fake snow in the “real” world, snow like stars floating in a small universe, the world as stage, the fact that snow will melt (if the snowman can leave will he melt in the real world?), and the microcosm hinting at larger related conditions in consideration of these thoughts.

Hippie: Thank you very much, Hippie. I appreciate that.

Meta-Androcto: Thank you! And finally an interpretative response: “worlds within worlds” – very good! That’s a big part of it. The reflections are all from the globe with no reflection/HDR maps necessary. This is Blender internal render. Depth was up to 5 on both ray mirror and ray transp. The rest came from multiple lights on various layers and some key angles of certain elements including the camera. I must have test rendered over 100 times to get everything to this point, but it was worth it :slight_smile: I set out to make what I feel could be one of my most important pieces, so I did not want to rush it.

mongrol: An interesting thought! Thanks for the reply.

rogper: Thanks so much.

Cyborg Dragon: Thanks. Fake snow is inside and out, along with “real,” and there is snow like stars and the microcosm. When I think of a microcosm I must think also of a macrocosm which could somehow relate to this smaller world.

watchthis: Thanks. Details are done however are necessary to convey the ideas I have for a project. Some call for more while others need less. Sometimes more is more or less is more =)

camotech: Wherever possible I try to use titles to summarize all the thoughts that go into a piece. The title usually is settled upon before I start modeling, after all the conceptual work has been thought out. If I feel the idea is not strong and interesting enough, I cannot start the project. While I prefer not to explain everything in this project completely, your reply motivates me to share some of the major ideas that went into this: levels of awareness and reality, spheres within spheres, a “fake” snowman trapped in a snow globe becoming aware of real snow and a larger world and perhaps wanting to leave his limited world as sweet as it is yet artificial, illusions, fake snow in the “real” world, snow like stars floating in a small universe, the world as stage, the fact that snow will melt (if the snowman can leave will he melt in the real world?), and the microcosm hinting at larger related conditions in consideration of these thoughts.

Hippie: Thank you very much, Hippie. I appreciate that.

Meta-Androcto: Thank you! And finally an interpretative response: “worlds within worlds” – very good! That’s a big part of it. The reflections are all from the globe with no reflection/HDR maps necessary. This is Blender internal render. Depth was up to 5 on both ray mirror and ray transp. The rest came from multiple lights on various layers and some key angles of certain elements including the camera. I must have test rendered over 100 times to get everything to this point, but it was worth it :slight_smile: I set out to make what I feel could be one of my most important pieces, so I did not want to rush it.

mongrol: An interesting thought! Thanks for the reply.

rogper: Thanks so much.

blenditall: Thanks! lol, maybe dig a little deeper :wink:

RobertT

Ok…
The snowglobe represents the earth; the snowman represents humanity, gazing eagerly into space. But what he should really be concerned with is his own environment, because with the slightest shake, everything is disturbed…

blenditall: Well done! And thank you very much for the follow-up. It really means a lot to me whenever someone is willing to take the time to move past the pixels and discuss the ideas a little more personally and meaningfully. And you did just that.

A snow globe is somewhat interesting on its own as just an ornament, but it can be even more interesting to consider how it actually works: in this case, the snowman’s existence has been shaken or turned upside down for the snow inside to appear.

Outside, there’s a more natural kind of real snow falling outside, yet still some fake snow to be found, a potential matrix within a matrix to consider – “worlds within worlds” as Meta-Androcto rightly mentioned – or at least the possibility of there still being illusions to be wary of at the next level of awareness.

This time such (microcosmic) world-changing action has enabled the snowman to become free enough to drift from his frozen position and press closer to the boundary of the glass and see further out, perhaps long enough to see something more real, an alternate reality possibly, or at least to realize his sweet simple candy cane world might not be the be all and end all and center of all existence.

And his is such a beautiful but fragile little world in the scheme of things, not unlike this world that contains that world.

Yes, as you point out, the globe could be the world, or one’s own world (the world one knows, home, a familiar place, a construct of one’s reality, one’s beliefs), so it’s encouraging to hear some thoughts in that direction :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

RobertT

wow blenditall, that was a very very deep interpretation, ya know, that would be a great idea in itself. Just make it allittle more obvious.

For some, after having their world shaken, comes beautiful snowflakes. For others the only things stirred up are dust and ashes.