MicroRender 1.2 is out

Hello, a new version is available:
http://www.msbsoftware.it/microrender

New features:

• Speed. Path tracing with mesh emitters is 3X faster.
  • Speed. Python exporter is 40% faster.
  • New feature. Hair particles as objects.
  • New feature. “Mask” transparency.
  • Improved. Better efficency in Glossy and DOF samplers.
  • Bug fix. Linked objects in other blend files are now supported.
  • Bug fix. UV coordinates no longer limited to ± 4.0.

Yay! Faxrender to the rescue!

“New feature. Hair particles as objects.”

Leaves? Trees? Great

For some reason I can’t get motion blur to work for anything. I set it up how it says in the manual, and it renders like normal.

Just tried with Blender 2.63, I confirm!! The external render engine is no longer called for every subframe. I hope that the Blender developers will correct this.
I’m removing the announced compatibility with 2.63 from the UR web site.

I made some other tests: in 2.63 full frame motion blur does no longer work also with Cycles, only one subframe is rendered.
It works only with the Blender Internal.

I’m using the official 2.63 for Windows 32 bit.

----> Bug report time !
Congrats on the new MicroRender: definitely a tool I’ll consider soon !

Edit post mistake. wrong render.

MR is a fail for Motion Blur, for now.

on the plus side, so far it seems a bit faster so far in the tests i have done.

for now Use 2.62 for Motion Blur.
Im sure they will fix 2.63.

I just opened a bug tracker:

#31319 - Motion blur for external engines in 2.63

Motion blur does no longer work for external engines in Blender 2.63. This can be verified easily, external engines are no longer called for every subframe.

The ticked has been closed, full frame motion blur (averaging a set of low quality render into a high quality result) is no longer possible.

Relates to:
Duplicates:
Patches:
Initial Comment:
Motion blur does no longer work for external engines in Blender 2.63. This can be verify easily, external engines are no longer called for every subframe.

Comment By: Brecht Van Lommel (blendix)
Date: 2012-05-05 12:19
This was disabled intentionally, it was never intended to work like this, it’s up to the render engine to provide their own motion blur.

Ouch !

Do you think there is some workaround possible on your side Faxrender ?

oh wtf…?

Now i see why so few people develop tools for blender.

Cool, didn’t notice this! I need check this out.

Hooray for this:

I needed that for a project, so I used BI instead. It’s a shame, because frames that took BI an hour to render, took MicroRender 5 minutes, (of course that is without mask transparency).

As to motion blur, I needed that as well. Since each frame without blur took an hour, with blur it would have taken 8 hours. So I used the vector blur node. This could be a work-around Faxrender, if you were interested in adding vector pass to MicroRender.

Personally, I like the look of rendered motion blur over vector blur, for single frames. Once frames are combined into a video at 24fps, you can’t tell the difference. Plus, rendered motion blur cannot be used if you’re rending an animation that is going to be used in motion tracking footage, or if the animation makes use of the child-of constraint and the constraint’s influence is switched off/on. In those cases, vector blur has to be used.

Anyway, Faxrender, thanks for the update!! Keep up the good work!!
Randy

removed post: i’m dumb.

i forgot that i’m on my Ubuntu partition, and i couldn’t enable the addon and didn’t understand why. anyways: are there any plans for porting MicroRender to Linux?? :smiley:

Ouch !
Do you think there is some workaround possible on your side Faxrender ?

I don’t know. Today it’s motion blur, tomorrow it will be something else.

MicroRender will probably return to be a private engine for planetarium animations.

i can feel your disappointment there. Perhaps there is a way one could just add a toggle for triggering the render engine for every subframe? I mean obviously the BI needs subframes too, so it should be possible just to pass these to the render engine? I’cant’t imagine how external engine should handle MT without subframes…

don’t give up. Have you talked to Brecht about this?

I’d talk to Brecht directly.