Microsoft is a gold member and funds blender now too

Basically the GRUB2 have the vulnerability and is used in pretty much most - if not all - Linux distributions.
more link reports on the matter (all been posted in the past few days)
Source 1: https://www.debian.org/security/2020-GRUB-UEFI-SecureBoot/
Source 2: https://www.zdnet.com/article/boothole-attack-impacts-windows-and-linux-systems-using-grub2-and-secure-boot/
Source 3: https://www.csoonline.com/article/3568362/linux-grub2-bootloader-flaw-breaks-secure-boot-on-most-computers-and-servers.html
Source 4: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/07/new-flaw-neuters-secure-boot-but-theres-no-reason-to-panic-heres-why/

I don’t think that companies will not contribute because some users make somewhat odd comments. MS is probably not doing this out of good will and somewhat participates from it.

Other companies who contribute see the same benefit.

Actually I hope more would join to even further promote Blender.

Sure I do not understand how this works and you do not understand my point. Second part of my post was a joke and that is the reason I mentioned BSOD there, you just wasted alot of your time by replying to my post. And the first part of the post was a fact, it is nobody’s but MS fault that people perceive them that way. Plus you should not accuse other people with idiocy. When you do that you assume intellectual or moral superiority over other people that you have no idea of, given that you most likely have no background information about such people you come across over the internet.

Quoting myself, I literally said I was for it. Please do not waste more of your time on this.

On the other hand this is good for Blender as long as Ton does not let Blue Screen of Death (aka BSOD) or analytics code snippets from Microsoft sneak into Blender.

This is great news, btw mr. Vasquez told that next week someone else will probably join Blender Funding. Since the release of 2.8 I check sometimes Blender Fund and wait for the number to reach 100k - would be nice.
I caught a weird feeling while reading posts about that Microsoft is bad and didn’t contribute more - any contribution is good.

Hey guys let’s be happy MS sponsors blender - we all agree MS win10 telemetry and update policy sucks - but everybody is free to also use Linux or MacOS

Well the time of hackintosh macs is more or less done

1 Like

What also needs to be mentioned is that the corporate donations comprise of at least 80 percent of the development fund. If the users can donate enough to knock that down to less than 20 percent, then you might be able to convince the BF to not have big corporations involved.

Besides that, we know that Ton is a true zealot for FOSS, and for nearly 2 decades has never allowed a corporation dictate the development path. As long as he is alive then we know the BF will not allow a plan to chip away at Blender’s status as being “completely free”.

Nice of Microsoft to show some support for Blender!

People, I get that some of you don’t like Microsoft, but you are just being unreasonable right now. Support is support and it is for the betterment of a tool we all use. Let’s try to be at least a little happy for the devs that they’re getting the money needed to continue working, especially in these trying times.

3 Likes

Legally a profit-maximizing company can’t just donate to charity, so obviously microsoft execs made a case to their board who expects to get a direct profit out of supporting blender which is why there is a reason to be cautious, it’s not about being “nice.” If the executives wanted to be nice, they would donate their personal money, not the company’s money, but they are trying to ensure they pay themselves first, so again, a reason to be cautious.

Most likely they benefit from data analytics, exposure, free python and other script assets, multimedia assets, machine learning assets, probably more in a calculated move.

That’s weird, because in 2018 Microsoft is listed at position number 10 in a top ten of companies that gave most to charities in the USA.

" In 2017, Microsoft Corporation gave $169 million cash to charity — or 0.7% of its $23.1 billion pretax profit, according to the Chronicle of Philanthropy.

Via its Microsoft Philanthropies arm, the tech giant works with more than 200,000 nonprofits and has donated more than $1.4 billion in cash grants and technology (as of February 2018), according to a LinkedIn article by Mary Snapp, corporate vice president and lead for Microsoft Philanthropies."

3 Likes

Read the rest. They have to argue their company makes a profit from it, otherwise it should come from their personal finance. Do you honestly have no comprehension of the issues of big philanthropy?

They have to be able to argue they derive a benefit from any “charitable” act, otherwise any shareholder can sue them for wasting corporate funds. Since they’re a publicly traded company, there’s a lot of potential lawsuits. Obviously they aren’t going to tank their company over such a frivolous mistake, which means they have an iron-clad list of ways they benefit from donating to blender. It’s not guaranteed to be a bad thing, but it’s a reason to be cautious, to think about their motives, to think about what conflicts might arise in the future.

Philanthropy is defined as “the desire to promote the welfare of others, expressed especially by the generous donation of money to good causes.”

I’m not sure sticking the word “big” on the front alters anything. That’s already implied by the word “generous” in the dictionary definition.

Which law (in which country) would prevent a company donating to charity without expecting a profit? Sure, their shareholders could stop them. But they don’t and they haven’t.

In this instance it’s my understanding that they have been using Blender and have decided to help, in a small way, to put in to its development costs. Nothing more, other than a public show of support.

3 Likes

Businesses sponsor stuff all the time. Sometimes it’s just for the publicity, sometimes it’s for a tax write-off. Whatever the reason, I can’t think of any instance where a corporation sponsored something to somehow damage it.

2 Likes

Don’t mean to get in the way of conversation, but… I don’t quite understand what’s being ‘nice’ has to do with anything? People cannot just go giving away money to noble causes without a care, whether they are big companies or random lone devs living in the basement. Any decision involving money has to be made with quite a bit of thought put into it.
Isn’t that what ALL the companies donating to BF do anyway? “Supporting the ecosystem” so that all could benefit. Them included, obviously?

MS did a good thing, when they could’ve just go about their business. It’s not like it would hurt their reputation or anything. Whether that decision comes from some evil master plan to take over the world, random act of charity or genuine desire to spread goodwill is beside the point, it’s an ungrateful response and a disgraceful speculation. Shouldn’t community members be a little above that?

2 Likes

“Big” is an exceptionally common term that refers to a massive industrial scale, typically noted in philanthropy due to the conflict of interest from charitable tax deductions. Since Microsoft is a U.S. based company, you can find itemization forms from the U.S.’ IRS website. Any charity or corporation can ignore bylaws, and as long as no one notices, they’ll get away with it.

Boards are restricted by acting under U.S. fiduciary duties. The specifics of these duties are dependent on the statutory law under which the corporation is filed, and I’m not going to cover 50 states of statutory laws, you can google that yourself.

In a certain sense you’re semi-correct to wonder that they have to maximize the company’s profit directly, but they still are required to act in shareholders’ best interest. This means if they can reduce the tax burden of their shareholders, such as by say, donating to charity, then they can choose to do so. If they want to accrue assets using the equivalent of underpaid labor provided by numerous blender artists and developers rather than paying directly for services from other companies or paying employees a livable wage, they are also free to do so.

I don’t either, but other (non-me) people said Microsoft was “nice.”

Yes and no. The natural competitive mechanism is in some sense the goal that regulations are designed to preserve, but individual companies are not donating with this in mind, they serve themselves. If they didn’t, then it would contradict the premise of the market for which their competition was designed to serve.

I’m going to bow out of this one. It’s going nowhere good.

I’m afraid I lump people who have an irrational hatred of Microsoft (and Bill Gates of course) into the same category as: Anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, 5G nutjobs, people who call Covid 19 the ‘China Virus’, people who use the term “plandemic”, people who believe in Reptilian overlords, QAnon cretins and flat Earthers to name but a few. A Venn diagram covering all those would contain a lot of overlaps.

5 Likes

That sounds like more of a “you” problem. I don’t see anyone here saying they “hate” Microsoft, and I even said explicitly it’s not guaranteed to be a bad thing.

The “damage” is often calculated in externalities. Suppose a company lobbies a regulator to cut emission standards. Well, the shareholders make more money. What’s the damage? It’s not the profit, it’s the increased air particles that increase the liklihood of lung cancer and other ailments associated with toxicity, leading to increased medical costs, decreased labor and many other externalities.

Similarly, blender expanding too quickly could have a similar effect on the 3D community. If only a few people control the majority of blender’s production, such as by BF acquiring the majority of the market share of all assets and donations, then individual artists have less of an impact. In this sense, Microsoft can continue to donate “on their own terms” once BF has grown large enough to be dependent on large corporate donations since it will then be the only way their labor force can sustain themselves. Naturally, people who work at BF will not be eager to stop making money for all the work they put in, so over the course of the next decade this potentially could be a problem since the majority of blender’s new development would be controlled by Microsoft.

Unfortunately, this kind of rabid “corporations are evil by default” mentality is common in FOSS communities. I even once replied to someone here who was offended at the very concept of buying and selling things (because it causes income inequality or something like that).

I wonder if some people here think the average corporate CEO is some scheming cat person sitting in a dark room while twirling his mustache. Surely we must assume all corporations are only capable of malice and only want to rob you blind, because blanket statements are good.

4 Likes

HEY! What’s wrong with cat people? Some of my best friends are cats. I have a 19 year old deaf one and a 6 year old one that likes to attack the elderly one randomly and chase her around.

1 Like

What are you even talking about? There wasn’t some shareholder meeting over this. It’s $30k a year—less than they pay a single employee. They’ll get a minor tax write-off on it, and that’s all. If they were wanting to do something nefarious they’d be going about it a completely different way.

7 Likes

Ah, but that’s the beauty of evil plots, every conspiracy theorist knows that! You start with taking care of poor little orphan kittens and only THEN commence the nuclear bombardment run.

2 Likes