Microsoft-Linux deal?

I rarely start threads, especially in the off-topic or news sections but…

This story recently appeared on MSNBC.com and since no one has mentioned it yet. I though it would be interesting. I heard a little about this a few days ago and I’m not sure how this will affect open source software such as Blender and others. From what I understand, Microsoft is working with Novell to improve the way opensource software works on windows and vice-versa.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15612160/

Embrace. Extend. Extinguish.

You must have heard it all before. Old Microsoft tactics.

Koba

Hmm…interesting.

Even though this article presents the situation as something that is mutually beneficial to both linux and windows, I must say that I am still a skeptic.

I mean after all, microsoft is known for it’s “business deal trickery”. There is a possibility that this is just another ploy to cover all angles, and slowly rob linux of what little advantage it still holds over the microsoft monopoly.

Yes, I am biased, and I hate microsoft.

Hmm, yeah, it does make sense. The article does mention that this deal with Nevell is a hard punch to Red Hat inc. Divide and conquer?

Hmm it puzzles me slightly.

What Open Source software is Novell sub-scribing to Microsoft?
Is it there own products like NetWare?
Or more open source like Samba?

It depends on the software.

Although I think Novell have done a poor deal, especially keeping it begind closed doors.

Just went on the novell website. They have posted this FAQ to help answer peoples questions. http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/faq_opensource.html

It talks about Novell not ditching the O/S comunity and basically getting the info needed for Novell customers to get full support. So the customer could/can port there stuff from Windows to Linux easily. And the deal obviuosly works the other way around.

Aside from the thoughts of MS trying to kill Linux, I wonder if this means that we’ll finally get some legal Linux DVD playing software (and other things)…

That may be why Microsoft chose Novell, because their patents/etc might not be given to the public, but I’m not sure.

To be honest, though, I kind of hope this turns out to be something pretty nice for both the OSS community and Windows users.

To be honest, though, I kind of hope this turns out to be something pretty nice for both the OSS community and Windows users.

If it turns out right it should be benificially for both Windows & Linux users a like.

Yeah, that would be a nice and interesting thing for the future of Opens source software.

Found another interesting story. Seems like large companies are making donations to OS. Adobe just made a large donation to Firefox

Adobe have finally started working on Flash Player 9 for Linux. :smiley:

I wonder if they’ll ever port Photoshop over?

Clean-3D wrote:

I wonder if this means that we’ll finally get some legal Linux DVD playing software (and other things)…
Yoh man:D and what is that?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

And there are others like mplayer etc.

Are they illegal? Makes me wonder!

Why bother when you have the GIMP?

Usually you can find perfect OSS alternatives to any “windows world” software, so that’s not such a big problem.

It’s the base level windows stuff like the DVD drivers and things of that nature.

Correct. The gimp is great and I have tryid the latest photoshop at a friend’s place. It has a lot of bangs and whistles and automated scripts but nothing the gimp can’t do if you know how to do it (yes it might take longer and be harder to do in some cases but it’s always possible)

Correct: The best closed/open source equivalents list I have found:
http://www.chlug.org/oss_equiv.php

Makes sense. Looks like a good thing for all those linux users.

If you read steve balmers comments it appears quite clear to me that the only Linux users to benefit from this are those paying for Suse Linux.

I can see only two reasons for microsoft to do this. Firstly it’s it’s a good defensive argument when they are hit by all the European anti-trust suits on the release of Vista.
The second I can see is that they will have taken a good number of paid OSS developers away from what they are currently doing, and have them working on join Novell/MS projects. From an enterprise point of view Suse’s “of course it will work MS helped us” product will be more appealing than real OSS alternatives.

Call me paranoid if you like, but I wear my tinfoil hat with pride, and it isn’t above me to shout “I fu**ing told you so!”

As a MS shareholder, I hope they make alot of money out of this. As an open source user, I hope they behave :slight_smile:

Microsoft agreed not to sign a similar agreement with any other Linux distributor for three years. Microsoft’s pact with Novell dealt a blow to other Linux distributors such as market leader Red Hat Inc., according to analysts. Under the pact, which will run until at least 2012, Novell will also pay Microsoft at least $40 million over five years for use of Microsoft’s patents based on a percentage of its revenue from open-source products.
Microsoft also agreed to spend $12 million a year to market scenarios where users can virtually run Linux on Windows machines and vice versa. Microsoft will also spend $34 million over the life of the agreement to put in place a sales force devoted to the combined offering, Novell said.

Seems like a good deal for Novell. They get $348 million from Microsoft and only have to pay $40 million to use Microsoft patents. This could mean easier access to NTFS filesystem, better support for file formats etc.

Even though I am a Microsoft hater, I can’t see the bad side of this.

(But there probably is some hidden evil MS agenda. The little ms-hater inside me just has to believe that.)

No doubt MS will promote its own .NET and other stuff for ‘Open Source’ making an open source app dependant on MS technologies (withc, for windows it does already, but .NET is (or was?) an external technology that slips into becoming part of many applications of wich I really doubt if they need .NET)

Yeah it sounds fishy to me. I seem to recall Microsoft getting license to use components of a certain operating system back in the 80-90s and subsequently using that access to compete against the makers of said operating system.

After seeing Vista, I’d say that probably the biggest area they need work on is getting their bloated Aero compositing engine to use less resources. I wonder where they might get an interface component that competes with their main rival in the home desktop market that uses fewer resources.

Oh yeah, that reminds me, out of all the Linux manufacturers, which one has closest ties with XGL again?

If it’s not that then there’s something else going on that’s not right. Microsoft have made it very clear that something has to be done to stop their biggest competition in the server market. They don’t mix well with open source.

Excepting for Novell-proprietary stuff, there isn’t much of anything negative that Microsoft can do with this, I suspect. The GPL is pretty powerful in that respect.

It’s a trap!

No seriously… I do think there’s a pretty clear reason why Microsoft is trying to do this: it’s a scare tactic. They basically up and said “If you don’t buy our licenses (like with SuSE, we can’t promise we won’t sue you with our bogus software patents.”

I don’t know what’s been happening lately with DVD software and Linux, but I remember a few years back when the Motion Picture Assosciation of America was taking 2600: The Hacker Quarterly to court for publishing source code to run DVD’s on Linux. Apparently commercial DVD’s cannot be read without using a specific decoding algorithm which is copyrighted to the MPAA or something along those lines. Anyhow, they were calling it copyright infringement. I never found out what happened with that.

Anyway, Microsoft and Linux? I’m skeptical, too (though Apple has been doing much better since Microsoft bought a large number of shares in their stock some years ago). Still, what could MS possibly gain from OSS? The two seem antithetical to me.