Microsoft vs Sun is over

In the news today, I just saw that Sun has dropped the over-a-year-old antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft, for a settlement of a measly $2 million. They’re now teaming up to take down Linux.

I’m going to try to find it on an online news site - shouldn’t be too hard

—edit—
It’s actually $2 billion, and here’s the news on Reuters (quite good), WJLA (not as good), Slashdot (doesn’t mention linux, just the settlement), Sun’s press release (also doesn’t mention linux)

“ensure that their products remain compatible, and take down competitor Linux.”

lol…sun was developing a redhat knockoff a few years ago…what happened?

This has nothing to do with linux. It’s the old patent&antitrust lawsuit from 2001 which was settled. The dispute was mainly on Java and the way microsoft tried to tackkle it down with its own interpretation, C# et .NET. Microsoft had earlier announced it would keep its support in longhorn so that’s not really a surprise.

look at theRegister for tech details.

Sun badly needed the money, if you consider they just fired 3300 persons of their staff and their stock value is in the junk area now.
Now, that should gave some nasty shocks to Sun engineers who will be allowed to look at window code, given that their motto is quality.

Yes, the Java thing’s settled, they’re friends now, and now they’re teaming up against linux. Read the Reuters link.

I can just see the M$ PR guys playing up the “Microsoft the hero” side of this

Yes, the Java thing’s settled, they’re friends now, and now they’re teaming up against linux. Read the Reuters link.

I can just see the M$ PR guys playing up the “Microsoft the hero” side of this[/quote]
Umm… isn’t sun making StarOFfice (a word-compatible office suite for linux)? And sponsoring OpenOffice (same, but open source and free)? I find this kind of hard to believe, especially iwth all their recent commentary on how “Open Source is our friend”. Methinks reuters has got it wrong…

[/quote]

look from where the “teaming against linux” quote come. From financial analysts who don’t know a thing about this. If you look at the serious tech sites, like theRegister, you will see that none of them report this bullshit, and for one good reason, it’s untrue.

The truth is that Sun does not have any more the money to stand a legal battle against Crimo$oft, and it was vital for them that the java dispute was settled, as it’s one of their last cards left to survive, their sales of servers declining. Would the dark angel of Redmond have dropped them, they were dead.

Last week, Sun chairman publicly applauded at the EC antitrust issue, that would have not been the case if he was suddenly a new friend of Bill.