Midi Integration!

Well… it’s about time someone either recompiled MidiPy for Blender2.4, or someclever soul just added Midi integration to Blender3D in general. I’d do it myself, but I cant afford VisualStudio to deal with the C++ aspects of things.

If anyone is interested in helping me do this, or has any brain-waves… do let me know!

:smiley:

I would like to help, but the game engine doesn’t compile properly on Ubuntu. It compiles, but it crashes all the time with a seg fault. SDL plays midi, so it shouldn’t be that hard if I could just get a stable compile.

Well, I myself had been planning on writing an SDL_Mixer.dll integration for Blender (SDL itself only has support for uncompressed audio). That would give support for midi, mod, ogg, and mp3 to name a few. Apparently, SDL_Mixer has Python bindings, but I don’t know how to use them. I was planning to look into how Pygame did it (they used SDL_Mixer as well). As for a C++ tool, last I knew Borland was giving away their C++ compiler for free download. You might look into that. PM me if you’d like to work together on this.

Why can’t you just compile with the GCC?

To be honest, I’ve never really cared enough to look into all of the options. I’ve always had a copy of a realatively recent version of Borland available to me, so I’ve just stuck with that. Is Blender compiled with the GCC? If so, I’ll probably switch over.

For Linux Blender is compiled with GCC. The official builds for windows use MSVC++, but it is perfectly possible to use gcc. I’ve always used cygwin to compile Blender on windows.

by the way, there is an excellent free version of MSVC++, google it. it’s called visual studio express. I’ve never done anything with it, but it loads MSVC++ project files so you might be able to compile Blender with it.

. .

ive got Microsft Visual Studio 2005
err my Father does.
but i dont know if that would help because i almost nothing about c++

“perfectly possible to use gcc…”

I’m in contact with the last guy to compile MIDIPY for Blender (only works in 2.3) and he said that compiling in GCC was giving him errors and he had to get a freind to do it in Visual Studio.

I’m also wanting to get an audio level into the software (from a microphone sorce.) No so I can record, but so I can animated the volume in 3D.

Well the MSVC compiler does have it’s benefits (I’m not sure if it makes a faster binary, but it’s supposed to compile faster, although I could never notice one way or the other), but the GCC is Open Source (or should I say started Open Source in many ways), which should make it significantly better in the long run, right?

Actually I would think that the gap between MSVC and GCC would be almost non-existent at this point. Hmm…I guess that was a misconception curses Microsoft

I think the biggest problem with GCC is that the game engine developers don’t use it to develop and don’t really care about compatibility. GCC is just a compiler, so a lot of IDE’s will work with it, many of them very good. It’s the typical Monopolysoft problem. Visual C++ isn’t done until all the other compilers don’t run. Eventually Microsux will pervert the open source movement so that everything has to be run on their software.

Here’s a quote from the mediawiki at Blender.org for compiling Blender on Ubuntu:

(I couldn’t get the game-engine to compile, if you know how to do it, just edit this guide ! :slight_smile: )

I managed to get it to compile, but it crashes when I try to run a game.

Ha, ha. There is just no way to take down the evil empire, or is there?

Open Source software has to become better in every aspect when compared to commercial software. That’s the only way that it will get adopted by corporations and enterprises over Evilsoft software.

Apache is a prime example of what I’m talking about.