Migration 2.49b -> 2.5x

hi there!
So how many of you guys are using 2.49b or 2.5x for making your creative games.
i am hoping to migrate soon enough because of some recent developments…:smiley:

Definetly NOT. New BGE is incomplete and some features are missing. Not to mention blenderplayer that requires to modify stubs.c file to be compiled.

If you are starting a new project, using 2.5X is a risk but it can be done(I assume that one game project takes about year to develop and by that time bge should regain it´s stability .)

@BigBob
if that’s the case then, think i will stick with 2.49b for now.yet still i will learn and do tests with the new blender,its ui and new features.

Blender 2.5 is pretty good, I like the new interface and it makes modeling a lot easier imo. Yes, the game engine is a tad glitchy, few bugs to fix and such, but its definitely fun to work with. My recommendation would be to wait till the final release though. Probably not worth starting something in it because 2.49b will still be available even when 2.5 official does come out. But if you want it to be able to work with 2.5 official, it would be best to start in 2.5 now (because a few things, notably animation data, doesn’t cross from 2.49b to 2.5 as far as I know).

I’d like to know what those missing features are. I have found the 2.5 BGE to be pretty usable for quite some time now, and I’d recommend it if you’re starting on a new project for a couple of reasons:

1. You can help find bugs and report them so they can be fixed
  2. Lots of great new features:
  • Dynamic loading
  • New audio system
  • Real-time IK
  • Ability to use OpenGL via Python (GUIs :slight_smile: )
  • And more that I can’t think of right now

2.5x is drastically better than 2.49b. I have been using 2.5x pretty much exclusively for months now, and I have found it to be mostly feature complete. I would recommend that you switch.

The ability to copy (texture face settings, logic bricks, properties) is the only thing I can think of that is still noticeably missing.

Go with 2.5; you’re probably going to switch at some point, so you might as well start now. In addition, by the time you finish your game project in the 2.5 Beta, the official 2.6 (?) build would be out, allowing you to build to a standalone executable (so, there’s no need to worry about that right now).

I agree with Moguri’s arguments.

But I still miss the ability to create a standalone. So it is difficult to test how a game finally runs. All previous versions had some differences between running in Blender and running as standalone.

I want to add another Pro:

• you need your scripts for Blender 2.5 API and Python 3 without the need to port them later.

But I think I will live in both worlds :slight_smile:

I’ve got one tiny complaint about 2.53. My system displays text perfectly on any kind of software afaik EXCEPT in the blender text editor. It’s readable and sizable but it’s not satisfactory.

That settles it.
I am going for it.
Whoo…hoo…:smiley: