million dollar homepage to aid blender development?

Would it be a good idea to make a million dollar homepage to aid the development of Blender?

Examples:
http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/
http://www.helpfirefox.com/

I would be embarassed to be associated to yet another MDHP ripoff.

wut is that. one of them is saying somthing that is is not working and the other wont load.

is it somkind of not working homepage.

i don’t vote right now because i might be wrong.

I just read an article on that in the paper. The guy made some fast cash :D. It also said that similar websites were popping up around. I dont see the problem with Blender doing the same thing :D. Gee, if people have too much money then they might as well give some to those who need some :slight_smile:

We could call this some Internet Robin Hood tale?

I can’t believe how much money people are willing to spend on such pointless gimmicks. I hate things like this because you see people working their asses off (like the Blender development team) and get no reward other than some meagre satisfaction that they’ve made the world a better place and then you get stupid little c*nts like this guy setting up a website to get rich quick by cashing in on those god awful sales people who would kill for some decent web traffic.

I mean c’mon, why does he want a million dollars - to get through college my ass. If he even gets a steady job after graduating (assuming he makes it that far), he would be lucky to get a $30,000 a year salary and he’d have to work for 30+ years to make $1,000,000 by which time he’d be close to retirement if you take into account interest payments. My guess is he wants an easy life.

Yes, so do a lot of people including me but it reinforces how false and stupid the whole world really is.

^Jealousy is unbecoming.

first person to come up with an idea like that, gets the chance to cash in on it.

like the person selling toast on Ebay.

Alltaken

pure genious, though of course we need to be original and think of a new scam…

like toast WITH butter!

edit: You have got to be sh*ttin me, check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5652179487&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:UK:31
without a doubt, this man is 1337.
Turning nothing into something, (to say the least)

wow now i understand.

i didn’t know there where people stupid enough to buy somthing like that :o

It’s the same as paying for an ad in the newspaper, it’s not stupid if you make money out of it.

My brother-in-law once tried to sell a Mormon Cricket on eBay. At least that has some sort of historical significance.

well lets get our think tank going on and come up with somthing super unique.

Blenders source code sale was one massive first in the world.

Alltaken

^Jealousy is unbecoming.

Maybe, but osxrules point is still valid. This guy probably won’t be contributing a whole lot to society. It’s the same with most other celebrities. The system is unjust because most often those who do work the hardest and provide the most useful services are the ones who get f**ked.

Hmm, that probably came out somewhat crass. Sorry, this sort of thing really pisses me off, mostly because people are stupid enough to support it.
[/end rant]

Yes, hard work is a good substitute when one lacks ideas.

There are no ethical ambiguities regarding this kind of get-rich-quickly scheme, either, since no harm is done to anyone and nobody is forced to participate.

To some it’s frustrating that someone can get rich quickly without much work. It’s much healthier to accept that some people have good ideas that take advantage of a particular niche than being jealous of their success.
It’s better to attempt to have similarly successful ideas; the profit of which can be used to whatever end desired. Such as funding Blender development. Conversely, money earned through hard work can be invested effectively to produce large profit quickly.
We’re back on sqaure one where regardless of which route one takes, the outcome can benefit “society” but it doesn’t have to.

From observation of fads, trends and hypes, it seems the world is fair to those who have a vision and realize it quickly and market it well.

Lets not forget the pet rock…

The guy DID make a million dollars. Because if you make it, they will pay.

If you ARE stupid enough to fall for it…Please send me $1.00…all 1,000,000 of you idiots.

anyone here a cattle farmer?

just curious… if you are then PM me.

Alltaken

Well put. One guy does it and now everyone else has to. Be original.

[quote=“bmax”]

Yes, hard work is a good substitute when one lacks ideas.[/quote]

I don’t think that justifies it. The difference I’m trying to make is that there are people who see a need in the world and fill that need. There are other people who see a personal need and selfishly pursue that not caring about anyone else along the way.

He even admits it on the site saying that he has debts to pay for university, he had a job but found that working wasn’t for him.

I would probably be lying if I said that having lots of money is something I’d turn down and I’m not claiming to be any better than the guy who made the site. I just disagree with the system that society has created where everything seems to have been abstracted into the pursuit of money by any means necessary.

Yes, he may use the money for something good, he might not but either way it enforces the point that money is one of the things that matter most. As I see it, there are 3 main things: money, power and fame. I don’t like being part of a system where that is the case.

That’s my opinion of the situation of course and people will say that there are other things that matter more like spirituality and love etc. but I often see them as being just as false if not more so.

There are no ethical ambiguities regarding this kind of get-rich-quickly scheme, either, since no harm is done to anyone and nobody is forced to participate.

To some it’s frustrating that someone can get rich quickly without much work. It’s much healthier to accept that some people have good ideas that take advantage of a particular niche than being jealous of their success. It’s better to attempt to have similarly successful ideas;

I disagree. These fads may seem harmless but they promote the idea that people don’t have to do anything worthwhile in order to get somewhere in life. Why do you think there are so many spam e-mails and telemarketing calls because lots of people are trying desperately to get rich quick. Are they harmless, no they piss everyone off and the higher success rate schemes like these get then the more spam we will all be subjected too.

the profit of which can be used to whatever end desired. Such as funding Blender development. Conversely, money earned through hard work can be invested effectively to produce large profit quickly.
We’re back on sqaure one where regardless of which route one takes, the outcome can benefit “society” but it doesn’t have to.

True. Again, it’s the pursuit of money that I object to that we all are forced to undertake not the way in which it’s done. It’s just that cases like these make it so blatantly obvious how false it is and yet it changes nothing. But that begs the question, how can it possibly be changed? Sadly, I don’t think it can, which leaves very little choice.

From observation of fads, trends and hypes, it seems the world is fair to those who have a vision and realize it quickly and market it well.

The world is never fair. But then it depends on your definition of fair. If you mean it’s fair to you personally then it can be but IMO no matter if you earn your place in life (not even sure what that means any more) or not, someone somewhere will still be getting screwed by the indiscriminate way good and bad things are handed out.