Minimal hardware for maximum detail possible?

Hi,

I simply wanted to know, is there a more less resource intensive way for water detail in blender? I have tried using the resolution at 320. But this takes far too long. Much more better detail for fluid requires more than 400, and that isn’t available with the laptop I have available to me. 1.80GHZ Core I 5.

I know processor speed, and memory are important for baking and rendering, but are there any alternatives, the most detail with minimal hardware used. :confused:

It depends on what kind of detail you need. You can always fake extra details by using the displace modifier or bump/normal maps. Other than that probably not very easily.

Like a texture, I have seen last year some clips where the image of the sky, and the ocean are used as a texture for an ocean.

Instead of producing the high detail using just the fluid particles, some sort of fake effect is used. I don’t think that can be replicated for waves. At less than 320 resolution, fluid isn’t that detailed at all. Even 320 is still not that good.

Perhaps the camera can be zoomed out for a more realistic effect at a low resolution.

Another approach is to sim just a relatively small strip of ocean and duplicate it. There was a thread here a while ago which explained that. Unfortunately I don’t remember how to seemlessly merge the copies.

What I have tried or used more specifically, I don’t think that is possible, scaling? Or remove half of the fluids. I guess it probably isn’t possible.

Sorry, somehow I don’t get what you mean. Scaling? Can you explain a little bit more what exactly you are trying to do?

I am just trying to see if I can get the beach waves file that is available, to have more detail with less resolution, but that doesn’t seem possible. Scaling the fluidcube won’t change that, so there is real option for that.