Minnaert shader - testers please! :-)

Hi Everyone,

I’ve committed Jorge Bernal’s implementation of the Minnaert shader to Tuhopuu. I made some slight modifications to it (so any bugs are probably my fault - LOL!) - mostly to remove some unsightly rim artifacts.

Here’s a very quick test image before I go to sleep, comparing the current diffuse models in Tuhopuu:
http://www.warpax.com/temp/diffuse-test.png
Sorry about the hideous color purple - please improve it! :smiley:

The Minnaert shader works by darkening parts of the standard Lambertian model. I’ve set it up with a single parameter, called “darkness”. Positive darkness values will darken the edges of an object (where they point away from the viewer or the light source), making the surface look more specular or more metallic. Negative darkness values will lighten the edges of the object, making it look somewhat velvet.

Please test, then lather, rinse, repeat… always repeat… 8) Need sleeep…

Jonathan Merritt.

Nice, I’ll definately test.

%<

Oooh that sort of reminds me of the metal material on max… :smiley: I’ll definitely give it a try… :smiley:

And… where is the incredible build? Still in CVS? This have to be changed!
(i checked only the comments in testingbuilds forum, so I can be wrong)

Yeonil

He said is in tuhoopu cvs

I will wait then for a win build. And still i say it looks like a wonderful feature

Yeonil

Neat shader, sure would improve shading possibilitys in blender.

Whoops! I meant to post this in the “new feature tests” topic. I think I need more sleep before doing this next time.

Yes - the current code is in Tuhopuu CVS. I only run development tools under Linux, so can’t provide a Windoze build myself at this stage. However, it’s sure to propagate through the next time somebody does a Tuhopuu build.

What I’d personally like to know from the general Blender community is:

1. Is this diffuse shader useful in its own right? Similar effects can easily be achieved using diffuse color ramps (for the tech-heads they’re easy to achieve, anyway…).

2. Does the negative “darkness” parameter produce a surface that is “too dark”? Basically, I’ve set the shader up so that when a negative darkness parameter is used, no part of the surface can have an intensity that is brighter than 1.0 (the same is true for a positive darkness parameter, but it happens “automatically” in the mathematics of the shader and didn’t require me to tinker with it). Limiting the maximum intensity to 1.0 makes a lot of sense in a physical context, but it sometimes “feels” a bit too dark to me from an artistic point of view.

Jonathan Merritt.

This is a problem of : do we need simple solution that covers some tricky setups, or we don’t?
Obviously, if it won’t bloat the code and/or speed and/or workflow, and in my opinion it really won’t… then I say we need it! And it’s hell awesome :smiley:
I see only 2 setups with this shader now… and what can we archieve in more complex setups? I will check as soon as the freshly compiled evil tree will be in my lazy hands’ area of interaction :smiley:

Yeonil

I have to try this out when I have the time, it looks great. Why do the coders always tempt us with their sweet code trickery, why? Hehehehe.

“I must stick to my current Blender workflow, I must stick to my old workflow. I have to avoid the temptation to build.” Hehehehe.

The new weight code is mighty tempting. I fear that if I get into it I will have to throw out my old weight setup methods right away. I hope Gabio doesn’t have a fresh build over at the org. Does he?

I was wondering if the current BF cvs comments about weight and softbodies were somehow connected. It would be cool if Blenders bone deformations could be controlled with weights that are influenced by softbodies.

Blend on!

Well I’ve messed around with it a bit, and it does provide for some interesting possibilities… :smiley:
Definitely calls for more playing with anyway… :smiley:
It did seem a bit dark at times, like you mentioned.
I’ll get back to this… :smiley: