Mint really laggy, unusable after 300k verts

You were running cpu heavy stuff in the background, and don’t know why cpu heavy stuff in the foreground suffers?

I wasn’t actually running the code at the time. pycharm was open, but not executing.

As I type this right now my text cursor lags about 1 second. Not really usable. Memory at 22%, cpu at 5% how is my text cursor lagging so badly???

If I were running a web server, I would rather kill myself than use windows. It would be Linux/apache all the way, and not running X. But for blender/photoshop The linux desktop(s) just aren’t polished and don’t run well for me. I’m not here to crap on linux, but I’d bet money that on 2 fresh installs windows performs better, which seems strange.

What flavour of Mint? MATE, Cinnamon or KDE? The latter two might be too beefy for a system running only on onboard VGA…

Cinnamon. Serena.

Sonya (18.2) has been released recently. MATE is the “lightest” of the three Mint flavours - perhaps worth a try (if it absolutely has to be Mint, that is)?

I might give it a try, I’ve tried slackware with gnome, freebsd, ubuntu and mint, they all just felt bloated and unresponsive. I’m just frustrated and have a bunch of stuff I need to do and can’t be burning time on my environment. It’s worth noting that with the exception of Ikari/MATE there wasn’t a single actual suggestion for anything I might try. Although YAFU did feel fit to question my spiritual attraction to Linux. :wink:

The right choice of desktop environment is of great importance - perhaps even more than the distro.
From my (totally subjective) experience GNOME is the “fattest” of them by far (in terms of needed resources) - on any distro -, closely followed by KDE and Cinnamon. If you want to play it light, use XFCE, LXDE or MATE. BTW, there is ubuntu MATE available as well, which IMHO somehow makes Mint kind of redundant.

Anyway, there was a “best distro for Blender” thread quite recently around here. I’ll see if I can find it - here it is.

Thanks, that would be good. I don’t mean to disparage anyone who posted, just having a frustrating day…

Just added the link to my last post.

@Photox, I hope you do not think that Linux users will just be using a laggy system because we are fanboys :spin:

Here a screen record working with intel iGPU (HD 4000) as primary display (selected from nvidia PRIME), using Kubuntu 16.04 (KDE). You keep in mind that I’m recording the screen with a program that captures and compresses at the same time, so keep that in mind when watching performance. I show three instances of Blender working at the same time: CUDA gpu render, Eevee and Multires Sculpt. You can see that with 9 subdivitions in multires modifier, in fact sculpt mode starts to get a bit laggy. Anyway that is CPU task, mine is i7 3770.
Dropbox player is not very good, better download the video and watch on your PC:

Really. I’m not telling you that you will not have problems with Linux. Nor am I telling you that you choose Kubuntu over other distros, you could have problems in Kubuntu as well. But if you really like the philosophy of Linux, you must have patience to learn and try to solve the problems that are appearing. Even report them in some Distro forum or where appropriate.

I’m not sure if in this long thread you have even mentioned what your iGPU (or the exact CPU model).

Yafu, you haven’t offered a single possible reason for my slowness or any possible idea for speeding it up. Not a single one. So how about it, offer one possibility. Surely a seasoned pro ought to be able to rattle off some ideas.

You still talk as if everyone has had that slowness you mention, and therefore we should know the cause of the problem, or be able to give you ideas for speeding it up.
I read your first post before you edit so I’m interested in clarifying some things.
I am not any Linux Zen or whatever. I am a simple Linux user…

…which has broken a lot of times the system, trying to see if I can help you here.

Why do you take everything like a personall attack? Was it because of that question about whether you were experiencing Windows problems too?
If you say you destroy the machine and even have graphics problems in BIOS, then I asked that question. So if you had hypothetically answered that you were having some kind of problems in Windows too and that’s why you were testing other systems, my answer would have been: “Okay, if you have even problems with display on BIOS, be careful because this could be due to a problem with hardware and not because of Windows”

What you have done so far here is to complain about your laggy linux installation. What if the other users are not having that kind of problem? How are we supposed to know what your problem is or to start thinking about a possible cause for the problem if you have not even said what your hardware is to start investigating? I even asked for a Blender scene where you were having problems to testing and see if I could help you. I have explained many things to you also in previous messages. I have also told you that if you believe that nothing we tell you helps, then it is time to ask or report the problem to those responsible for the distributions you use. It’s how this works.

I read the nvidia thread and it was interesting, and I appreciate your trying to get thing working better for the distro driver packages. My original issue could well have come from manually installing the nvidia driver.