Mirror modifier

I need some help. I am creating a space rocket. It has the main thrust engine at the center of the main body of the rocket. It then has four smaller rockets that come off the main rocket body and are attached by “arms”. When using the mirror modifier I can create one of the smaller rockets and it will create a second one on the opposite side. That only gives me two rockets. How can I use the mirror modifier to get the other two rockets so they are exactly like the first two? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hmm… An attachment would help…

But it sounds like maybe you could use the array modifier… Just maybe.

IN the mirror modifier panel, you can see there are options there to tick for each axis - if you are using x, tick y and see if that creates the other two copies.

I had not thought of an array. I can see this working. I do not have a ton of experience with arrays but I understand the concept of how they work. I need to think this through and experiment a little. Thanks McThingy.

Thanks Craig,

I will go home after work and try this. I did not notice these options before. I guess I need to open my eyes. Thanks again.

Daniel

You’re welcome - be sure to let us know if you solved it. :slight_smile: I watched a tutorial that showed the use of this, and I had already used blender for three years before I found out - we learn something new all the time.

You’re welcome! :smiley:

before adding the mirror modifier. duplicate and save your rocket mesh on other layer. delete your rocket in a way, that only the quarter mesh is left (guessing your rocket is symmetrical) and add up the thrust to the quarter rocket mesh in edit mode (you can join them as well in object mode).
Then use mirror modifier.

Dukejib

I think I understand what you are saying. I will try this also and see if I can make it work. Thanks for the help.

Daniel