Mirrored texture painting - is it in Blender?

I haven’t been able to locate that feature yet. Does anyone know if it exists in Blender? (at least in the form of add-on)

There’s no such thing in Blender … yet, but if all goes well, there may be one day by Psy-Fi GSOC proposal of this year :
https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/kalast/56002?ModPagespeed=noscript

Meanwhile, what you can use is a workaround with a half model and a mirror modifier, painting in 3D on one side will then mirror the same as if you were modelling.

Only problem is that in 3D view paint, at the center of the mirror axis, the brushes can’t seem to paint correctly (they don’t “bleed” enough out of the seam) .
Increasing the bleed option on the toolshelf is actually not the solution because it will then create other problems with the colors going very badly around the seam, so do not increase the bleed setting in the toolshelf.

The only way is to paint a bit in the UV/Image Editor at the seam, bleeding the paint out of the seam manually.

Then once you’re done, you can always bake your texture on a complete version (i mean not a half one) model on which you’ll have made a better and full unwrap.

Aye, thanks.

I already have textured 3D model (base textures) and I simply want to add details (the unwrapping isn’t mirrored). I suppose I would need to duplicate the model, unwrap it mirrored, paint over and then somehow bake whatever I painted into original texture (selected to active).

Is there a way to paint texture when in GLSL display mode (to see proper shading of the model and not solid white as in Multitexture mode) ?

You can paint while in texture draw mode and see everything if you add enough lights to your scene, last time I did that.

@Sanctuary - I was thinking of this earlier with using for 2d paintings, and I realized that the best bet was to match the camera to the desired output and to do this same mirror modifier painting. I also set it to clipping, and made sure to push the center edges to the midline to join them. At least with intending to continue to paint in 2d after saving the render out, you can just clone or repaint the pixels that are problematic.

Yes, you should be able to use GLSL, but do not stay in Solid display while in Texture Paint mode, you will need to go in Textured display, i have used this to try how painting bump map could be, and it works nice and usable enough .

Good idea Craig, i’ll have to play a bit with this.

I’m still amazed on my weak system how much better the Texture Paint mode can be in the 3D view (with Triple Buffer+Region Overlap), i wish i knew why it wasn"t as fast in the UV/Image editor though.

And playing a bit with mouse painting with the brush size, strength and some help from the Smear one, it’s very interesting.
the brush works a bit like in Dyntopo now things are unified in 2.67, the more you zoom the more fine it is as a specific size level, it’s rather handy.

Hmm… I have my model always lit solid in non-GLSL mode when texture painting. When in GLSL mode, I have shading, but I don’t see any paint strokes.

For 2d Blender can’t beat Sketchbook Pro 6 :slight_smile: I bought it on Amazon for $36 and it’s just phenomenal. The way it works with tablet, canvas manipulation, tools, mirroring, layers. I think it’s the best tool for 2D sketching / illustration for the price. Sketchbook Pro 6 + GIMP is definitely an viable alternative to Photoshop for me :slight_smile:

Something that’s important is to still assign the texture you’re painting on (and defined in the Material -> Texture panel) to the model through the Image/UV editor too, if you assign it only throught the Material/Texture panels (so it display in GLSL) , you can’t paint on it, probably why you don’t see paint strokes.

Usually i paint through Gimp+MyPaint, good combination for my needs.
I’ll have to make some reading about that sketchbook program to see how it is.

Ahh, so I need to use UV texture in material as diffuse texture so I can paint and see changes in GLSL display mode! Will try that.

MyPaint feels slower on Linux, and on Windows there is no MyPaint 1.1.0 (the one with mirroring and rotating canvas). I used it before, but I really wanted faster, more robust painting app with mirroring and rotating canvas. I tried trial of SB Pro and really enjoyed it. Autodesk sells Linux version through their online store, but somehow it’s cheaper on Amazon (but Win/Mac only).

I am exploring Blender as an alternative for painting - and I have an idea that I am trying to develop a workflow for. See, in Blender we have paint AND compositor AND masking AND integrated 3d geometry - I have always worked toward the goal of creating 3d, so never thought to tackle the 2d also in Blender. Mypaint is nice for the brushes, but has no masking or filtering, and Photoshop is very powerful but doesn’t have built in 3d modeling for pieces of your composition… not that I want to replace these from my use completely, but I do want to know how far I can take this in Blender before taking it to another program, especially if my desired result is to make a 3d model in Blender at the end of it all :smiley:

Image layers work around: use separate render layers with image mapped planes matched to camera for render, and chain them with alpha over nodes and use images with alpha so you can paint/erase alpha. You can get at least 20 layers that way, plus multiply that by however many scene copies you need to make. Would be better with an addon to control and generate it all like the texture paint layer addon for material textures does.

I don’t really see a point in such “universalism”. There are 2D apps that do wonderful job.

I don’t mind Blender having robust brush system and layers, along with mirror painting. It just needs to be user-friendly.

Btw, I know some folks keep on swearing on Blender’s paining capabilities, but it just doesn’t work for me and my Wacom :confused: Maybe it’s a matter of practice and texture resolution, but I couldn’t get to paint faint AO over my model with texture of 256 x 256 resolution. It just doesn’t come out as smooth consistent as if I paint in 2D app :frowning:

It isn’t a point of not using other apps, it is about learning what is capable inside this one. As far as resolution goes - yeah, that could be a problem, but why not just bake AO onto your base texture and paint the rest? If you bake at a higher resolution first, or paint at a higher resolution, what do you get when you downscale the image texture?

Well, I wish I could bake AO on low poly, but the issue is that Blender renders darker areas on every edge. Especially noticeable on cylinders. I don’t know how to get a rid of that issue, so I simply paint AO sometimes manually. Depending on UV map distortion, I can paint it in GIMP/etc., but most of the times it’s just easier to paint on 3D because I can see the shape clearly. I could have used xNormal for that, but it was a small test project and I just got tired switching between Blender and xNormals.

Could you get something from the vertex dirt paint that would ramp up/down to get what you want? I don’t know what your model looks like, but if you tell me a rough description I could take a look at trying. I’m assuming you are looking for just a bit on parts, not all over. How many polys in one model, liked the cylinder?

well, if you grab a cylinder of 10 sides, place it on a plane, and bake AO, you will see what I am talking about.

Yes, at 256 it is ugly, but I smoothed it with a giant Soften brush. That is not a fix for that, I think you’d need a high res image baked to a smoothed version of your model, and then bake to a low res image on your low poly model. Heck of a lot of work.

:frowning: Gotcha, will have keep that in mind