Mirroring troubles

Hi, I’m a noob.

I am following along with “Introducing Character Animation with Blender” by Tony Mullen. I am using the latest version of Blender, which he does not in the book. In the second chapter, he models a face. I am following along, and it isn’t working for me as he describes. He generates a plane and mirrors it. Check, that works fine. He deletes the two outer verts and then extrudes the line into a rough profile of the face, using two views. One view has a profile photo of a face and the other has a frontal photo of the face in the background. Check.

From here, he extrudes from the profile around the lips, forhead etc. This works fine, but for some reason it isn’t mirroring on the other side. It was working fine when the plane was a plane, but doesn’t seem to be working anymore.

I delete the whole thing and start over. I shrink the plane down and then extrude it some, and it mirriors fine. I extrude a single vert, and not the plane as a whole, and the vert won’t mirror.

Anyone have any idea what is causing the trouble?

try turning off do clipping in the modifiesr tab

Apparently the mirroring only shows up on faces, so when I’m just connecting verts with no faces, I can’t see the mirroring. :slight_smile: Thanks