Misc. modelling questions...

Hi all,

I’ve searched, but cannot find solutions to the following questions (if anyone would throw me a bone!)

1. Is it possible to copy a selection of faces from one mesh to another? (And how, obviously!)

2. Is it possible to define a 3d “chunk” of a model to display in the editor only… like a cross-section? Reason: I have a model of an island with a series of caves & passages INSIDE it, and it’s next-to impossible to select & edit the interior. I’d like to hide the exterior while I work on the inside.

3. Is it possible to perform boolean operations WITHIN a mesh?

Again, thanks in advance for any tips you may have.

1. Is it possible to copy a selection of faces from one mesh to another? (And how, obviously!)
    Select faces, Shift+D to duplicate, P to separate then select the other object and Ctrl+J to join
  1. Is it possible to define a 3d “chunk” of a model to display in the editor only… like a cross-section? Reason: I have a model of an island with a series of caves & passages INSIDE it, and it’s next-to impossible to select & edit the interior. I’d like to hide the exterior while I work on the inside.
    Select the faces you want to hide and press H
  1. Is it possible to perform boolean operations WITHIN a mesh?
    Be more specific on what you mean

Thanks Richard!

“H” was a godsend! I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me to search for how to “hide” faces! And it’s even right at the top of the “Mesh” menu haha… overthinking things I think. :wink:

Re #3, I meant perform a boolean operation on two discrete shapes within the same object, rather than having to have two separate objects. Although, I suppose I can now achieve that anyway by copying the relevant faces to a new object and using the Boolean modifer.

Cheers,
JOn.

There’s a clipping border (alt-B) that will let you see a cross-section of your model. For your island, you probably want to set vertex groups specifically for hiding and showing particular parts of your model.

http://www.rkmusic.info/avatar3.jpgthanks in advance for any tips you may have.

YES! Clipping border is EXACTLY what I was after, thanks.

Hi again, but this is driving me nuts now… More advice please?

When I separate a mesh with P, a new object is created, but when I select either of the objects the other object moves/scales/etc with it as though they’re both still attached somehow.

Have I got some setting or something activated that’s doing this??