Mixamo Rigging Error

Hi,
I’ve modelled a character and I want to rig and animate on Mixamo. I’ve done it before with my other characters and it worked fine but this one has errors I couldn’t figure out why.
The problem is it gives an error when i import it in fbx format, it works when i import it to mixamo in obj format but that way the materials does not show up. I tried to import it as a zip file with obj and mtl files but it gives me an error as it does in fbx. Which is this one:

The model is this one:

Does this help?

Note:

Mixamo supports 3 file formats for upload: FBX, OBJ, ZIP.

• Make sure “embed media” is turned on for FBX files to upload your textures.
  • OBJ files don’t include textures, making characters appear gray. To show textures for an .obj file, put the .obj, .mtl and textures into a .zip and upload the whole .zip file.

EDIT or this :

The Mixamo automatic rigging system only works for humanoid characters and has a few other specific requirements.

Ensure that the following is true for your project:

• The character is humanoid with distinguishable head, body, arm, and leg areas. If the character proportions are too deformed, the auto-rigger may not work.
  • The character does not have large extra appendages or props. For example, extra limbs, wings, and tails or large hair and clothing items may not work.
  • The character is in a default or neutral pose. Auto-rigging may not work if the character is largely asymmetric or posed prior to rigging.
  • There is no other content in the file. Extra helper objects, cameras, or scene objects cause the auto-rigger to not work.
  • There are no spaces between any of the parts. For example, the auto-rigger does not work on floating heads that are disjoined from the body.
  • The character is centered in the scene. The auto-rigger works best when characters are set to the (0,0,0) origin of the world. This prevents animation offsets happening from unit differences.
  • The character mesh is clean and error free. The auto-rigger performs more reliably on characters with clean meshes as well as provides higher-quality animations.
1 Like

Thank you for that, but i tried them all before asking here. maybe I’m missing something idk

I don’t use OBJ format, but can’t you reapply he texture once you bring it back into Blender?
Also, I’m pretty sure there’s a way to copy/retarget animations from a mixamo character to other rigged characters in Blender. So you could use the OBJ method, then retarget the animation to your fully textured character in Blender. I think it’s called EXSPY.

Yep, I’m doing that also but everytime i want an animation I gotta do that. I wanted to know if there was an easier way.

Again, I don’t know much about how Mixamo works, but I noticed that you have a lot of separate bezier curves converted to meshes. What if you join all the mesh parts together? Except for the bow. Maybe Mixamo has a problem with all of the separate pieces. Maybe even the hair. Or even leave the curve meshes separate and then reparent them once you’ve brought your animated model back in.

2 Likes

Thank you, it didn’t work, probably I couldn’t do it :sweat_smile:

Too bad. At least you have a workaround, even though it’s not the easiest one. You can still export as obj and then retarget to your shaded character.

Yep, thanks! I guess I was looking for a magical solution.