Mixed Colors, claymation-style artwork

Mixed Colors — 3D creatures in a traditional claymation style.
(Concept: Riki Fuhrmann)

Rendered using Cycles.

I used a PBR workflow for the materials, and mixed bitmap textures with procedural textures.

I also deliberately didn’t use any denoising, because it made the materials lose details, and I like a slightly rough look.

Hope you like it. :slightly_smiling_face:

79 Likes

this is great!

3 Likes

Many thanks, much appreciated!

1 Like

Haha, awesome! Very nice materials :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Haha, cute! Clay shader looks spot on.

2 Likes

Many thanks @bartv and @yakuzakazuya! :+1:

I used a PBR workflow for the materials, and mixed bitmap textures with procedural textures.

I also deliberately didn’t use any denoising, because it made the materials lose details, and I like a slightly rough look.

I’ll add this info to my initial post as well.

3 Likes

Do you think you could render this at 1078x310 (or x2) for a BlenderNation header? Details are here: https://www.blendernation.com/submit-header-graphic/

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

3 Likes

BlenderNation header comin’ up within a few hours, and thanks for the feature too! :+1::+1:

1 Like

It looks 10/10 amazing - I’m less than novice at texturing but I don’t really get how you made the texture? What is it the bitmap vs. procedural textures are used for? Are you using bitmap as a base then adding procedural as an effect on top for less homogeneity? What does the bitmap look like?

Would you mind screenshotting your node setup

1 Like

Thanks, appreciated!

I’ve used a PBR clay material for the characters (albedo/diffuse, roughness and bump). The background has a plaster material, mixed with a Noise texture to spice up plain areas, and the ‘vomit’ only has a Noise texture.

Two additional things are very important for the look: I’ve used SSS for the characters and the vomit, and I didn’t only use bump mapping, but also added subtle true displacement.

2 Likes

Hahah love it. nice job man

1 Like

Thank you very much! :+1:

1 Like

You’re #featured! :+1:

1 Like

Lol, awesome

1 Like

This makes my day, means a lot, many thanks @bartv! :+1:

1 Like

So simple in form, yet so cool!!! Love it :slight_smile: Remembers me of when life was just simple :wink:

1 Like

I love how organic this looks and the blend between the two colors on the floor is fantastic!

1 Like

Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated! :+1:

can you share the blender file for studying?