Mixed Realities

Awesome stuff. I’ve been wanting to do mixed realty stuff, more camera matching when I heard about Blender having that ability, but have yet to come up with something that would work. I’m a huge SpaceX fan and thought it’d be neat to model one of their rockets and place it in my back yard or something just to see what it’d look like haha. Dunno if it would work with camera matching but maybe it’d work with your method, though the scale of it might be a little tough.

I’ve got a few other projects though I’m working on atm, but maybe will give it a go sometime. I’m sure I could get a premade one from somewhere but I’d rather do it my self to get the experience.

I wonder if enough people start doing mixed reality if they’ll make a separate category for it? :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot, smadoc. Mixing real and virtual imagery in Blender ist really fun :slight_smile:

Yes, a space ship in a back yard would look great. For the scale it is important to plan the composition befor you take the background photo. Something I learned the hard way and often struggle with even toda :wink:

Here is the current progress. Still WIP, of course. I think I should mention by now that the final scene won’t be a space environment. Just so that nobody is disappointed in the end.

Worked on more refinements today. Modelled the neck ring and the hood which bears the comm devices. Also lighting and texturing and I tweaked the hairs a bit.

I’m working in 2.79. But I do testing in 2.8, to get familiar with it. Very nice matcap in 2.8!

Edit:
While I’m at it and because rendering is fun :slight_smile: Rendered in Cycles with 6000 samples. Post processing in Gimp. Frequency separation, dodging and burning.

1 Like

Yesterday evening I started to work on the LEVA, the Lunar Extravehicular Visor Assembly from the Apollo missions. It took me quite some time to figure out how these visors were shaped and how to make them fit together without any intersection. By now I’m quite happy with the result, although I’m not completely through with them.

Modelled the parts of the latch which was used to attach the LEVA.

A relaxing and extended Blender evening after a truly busy day in the office :slight_smile: Modelled the outer shell of the LEVA.

love that teufelberg tower hdri!

Nice looking helmet, btw.

And it’s nice seeing you again, it’s been a while.

Thanks, man :slight_smile: I’m happy too that I managed to squeeze in some serious Blender time lately. And, well spotted, it’s the mentioned HDRI. This one is incredibly good. I had to lower the strength below 1 because this one was so well captured by Greg Zaal with such a wide dynamic range.

Here is some progress. I modelled the fabric cover for the helmet and did some multires sculpting on top of that. I still have to refine the sculpting a bit, though.

This is looking fantastic. Love the texture of thr fabric. And the face model…sculpted or box modeled? Keep it up!

Thank you very much jdover, I’m glad you like it. The face model is indeed box modeled.