Mobile app to the Blender Artists site?

Because blender artists don’t have a mobile app that would be cool. administrators should think about it i think

• Yes it would be cool
  • Wouldn’t be nice
  • Do not know

0 voters

There’s a generic Discourse app available for iOS and Android, but we’re not planning to develop our own. The only thing the apps add is notifications, the mobile browser experience is already very good.

2 Likes

Yes, to @bartv the site is doing a good job of being responsible to screen sizes and I don’t see benefits to any ‘appyfying’.
Anyway, I am eager to learn and hear what could be gained in an app.
Edit: I think the poll is lacking the option of: "I don’t think it’s necessary. " and “I don’t care”.

2 Likes

I think an app would be useful if it can cache content for offline reading.

1 Like

Fair enough. Didn’t think about that. But then… Aren’t there solutions like Pocket et al.?
Discussion sometimes going fast here and caching might introduce contradictory posts.
Don’t get me wrong, I am all for exploring ideas.

1 Like

Not sure if Pocket can cache a long Discourse thread. I had that issue when I tried to make pdfs of some topics.

1 Like

Just out of curiousity, why would you want to capture something as dynamic as this discussions in a static format like PDF?
It might be a good idea and when it is I think Bart can make ‘some data’ , like post logs available.
But then we are in a sensitive area.
An then if you really want to archive posts couldn’t you just scrape them with a technology that pleases you?

1 Like

You can already access all required data through the API by just adding .json to the url. For example, for this page, try https://blenderartists.org/t/mobile-app-to-the-blender-artists-site/1191978.json

So if you want, you can build such an app. There’s no ‘official’ app planned though.

2 Likes

Cool, didn’t know that since such things aren’t my domain. But then again it’s what I said… Scrape the site with something pleasing. Having a direct API, and considering the over all openess, should end all talk.
I remember from not too long ago there was a mention of someone who actually made an app. But then again I personally
don’t care.

2 Likes

I know it’s not an app, but I have BA on its own icon for Android. Leaves off the browser chrome. Nice reading experience.

I’m a casual visitor though and I’m not knowledgeable about what an app might do for BA.

2 Likes

Yep, Discourse supports ‘Progressive Web Apps’, and even includes some limited offline browsing in them.

I don’t want to hijack the thread, Bart, but I just wanted to say that I’m very happy that you’re here and that Blender Artists is around. I’ve had very good experiences with the site since I joined in mid-2018, and even though I’m not a professional 3D artist or even a full-time 3D art student, it’s really wonderful to have this resource. :slight_smile:

3 Likes