model from import DXF

Be cautious with content in DXF or other formats that allow visual isolation through layers or other methods. Users will tend to freeze or turn off layers to hide things rather than clean up after themselves. After a while, the hidden content becomes “out of sight out of mind”. I’ve come across files with all sorts of, ermmmm… “stuff”… like that.

Had a look. It is messy, but managed to get all the objects visible. Had to make objects single user as otherwise couldn’t apply transforms. Also isolated the fonts to scale them differently. Even so, it appears an untidy cad file, compared to the other one.
Anyhoo, here’s my result, with a bit of judicious unparenting and such Layer 10 has what I think is the key data.

Attachments

2902049_(1).blend (2.63 MB)

Found this:

It imports stp / igs and exports STL which can be pulled directly into Blender. Ran the STP through it, here’s the resulting blend file from importing the STL.
BTW, it benefits from doing Alt+J then limited dissolve in edit mode.

Attachments

Mini_MCR_stl.blend (1.76 MB)

for last file
did you add the faces or it was done by soft ?

looks good but
not all site have the STP IGS models
most use only the DXF format and again in 2D not 3D

thanks
happy bl

Nope, the STL file brought that in as is. Yeah, if you are down to DXF, there is definitely more work to do, STL does pretty much everything for you. :slight_smile:

not certain here
was the DXF in 3D or only 2 D ?

I mean if you export as STL and get faces must be 3 D then

thanks
happy bl

sketchup 7 (free version) imports dxf well,from there you can export dae or obj(free ruby script) to blender.

DXF is purely 2D from cad programs in Blender. When I was doing Arch Viz, I had to do a lot of this sort of clean up then ue the DXF mainly as a template. The STL comes in as a rather nice 3D object. Some tidy up is required, but depends how obsessive you are how much to do. I’m pretty bad for tidying up, get a bit too picky.

The DXF pulled into HeeksCAD appeared to be just 2D, like a plan layout, however, the IGS / STP isn’t.

EDIT: That site BTW has a few handy IGS files which can export nice 3D models from HeeksCAD, could be worth building an asset library.

so IGES or Step are in 3D but not DXF !

don’t know do we have an IGES STP import in bl ?

thanks
happy bl

by the way do you know how the
IGES or STEP works

would be nice to make an addon to import in blender

thanks
happy bl

Alas, haven’t got a clue, I know a few people have asked about an import in the past. Does seem something of an oversight.

there is a lib but not certain how to use it

may be will ask in python forum

thanks
happy bl

DXF can contain 3D solids and meshes, encoded per the spec. It’s not as efficient as dedicated neutral-formats such as IGES though, so DXF is far more common for communicating 2D content. And as far as I can tell the Blender DXF import is limited to 2D content e.g. lines, circles, and so on.

anyone has some good sites explaining how the functions in IGES works including type of Algo
some CAD curves might not be same type then what we got in Blender
same thing for surfaces

thanks
happy bl

I was able to import some dxf-files from location you pointed:
https://www.phoenixcontact.com/online/portal/us/?uri=pxc-oc-itemdetail:pid=2308027&library=usen&pcck=P-13-10-01-02&tab=5&selectedCategory=ALL

I was able to import a part of the model
but it was only 2 D
it did help a little
but ended up using the 2d images to do the 3D model!

thanks for feedback
happy bl

you can examine the files here:
2d_drawing_example01.dxf.zip
2d_drawing_example01.dxf.as_mesh.blend
2d_drawing_example01.dxf.as_curves_exploded.blend

I did the test on Blender 2.49b and 2.79a, though found bugs in 2.79a version regarding MTEXT and BLOCK/INSERT objects, that I will try to fix today.

as far as I can see, dxf files on this server are all 2d drawings.
Though there is no problem to transfer 3d models via dxf format of course :slight_smile: