Yeah we tried quite a few ways to bring it across, but nothing seemed to work very well – not that we’re experts!
Thanks so much to the people who PMed me. I have contracted a person so for now I’m all sorted.
In case it helps anyone in the future, here are some things that made me engage with a message as opposed to ignoring it (no doubt different for different people of course):
- They provided a price (even indicative). I brushed past any message that didn’t have a cost. I know it’s hard to throw a price out there, but perhaps you’ll be written off if you don’t?
- There were a few decent examples of work included.
- They gave more technical detail, not too much, just enough to show they had thought it through and knew their stuff. Extra points if they said something I had already encountered and could verify. Some gave a little advice.
- Messages that were too short or informal didn’t come across as well. I’d say launch straight into particulars instead of spending the first message introducing yourself and saying you can do it.
- They offered to show how to use it afterwards.
Hope that doesn’t sound preachy, just thought it might be helpful to hear the perspective from the client side!