Modeling a blade that is curved

I can’t seem to get it right. See how the blade has 2 different curves?

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4999/file0015.th.jpg

You can use curves like in this example.

Attachments

knife.blend (459 KB)

That’s what I’m looking for, but I don’t quite understand how you did that.

That example uses curves to achieve the shape. I personally don’t like curves, maybe if I used them more I would, but I just box modeled it…

Randy

Attachments

knife.blend (154 KB)

Ya, you can just make the basic shape with quads. Than, apply Subsurf Modifier to smooth it out. Or you can use Simple Deform / Bend Modifier to bend things.

Attachments

Go into edit mode on the blade or handle.
Here is what I did:

1. Added bezier curve, made it 2D from the curve panel, and traced the shape of the knife with ctrl + click. Certain handles (handles of the points) I changed to vector to get sharp edges.
  2. In the curve panel under Geometry, changed the values there to something suitable and added a taper curve to sharpen up the blade.

But as revolt_randy said, curves aren’t the best. I usually only use them for experimenting before poly-modeling something, or for cool animation, vines, and so on. For example do alt + c on the blade and convert to mesh.

Subsurf is surprisingly good in applications like these. The effective geometry is based on curves, but the underlying model is a mesh.

In this case, it will be important that the mesh is slightly thicker at the top than at the bottom.

The bevel modifier will also be important: in order for an edge to be visible, it needs to have a bevel on it, however slight. (You can “stack” these modifiers.)

As usual, “put exactly as much effort into it as the intended application requires, and no more.”

I got it now, thanks guys.

Don’t get me wrong, I never said curves aren’t the best, I just don’t like working with them. It’s a matter of personal choice. Your model was quite nice, actually. In the screenshot attached here, I used curves and array modifiers to create the hoses/tubes, then applied them to generate the actual mesh that is deformed by an armature. It’s not perfect, the hoses don’t deform perfectly, but I’m still working on it…

Randy

Attachments