Modeling a Katana

I tried to model katana-style sword from League of Legends(Yasuos sword btw :wink: )
and got this far:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]280386[/ATTACH]

Now i dont know how to model the straps around the handle(every katana and some other swords have those)
I guess a texture would be a lot easier,but it wont look as good as modelled and im not so good with textures.
Is there a tutorial or a quick tipp how to do this ? Havent found anything yet

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

your link is probably broken. update your original post and Ill take a look and give you some tips on modeling the strap :wink:

Not sure why it broke o.O

Not sure if your sword is modeled after a real object but in real life cord bound handles have to be parallel from hilt to pommel for the cord not to work loose. You have a very great difference in angle. Naturally when modeling it you could just make the cord thicker on one side of the handle than the other but thatā€™s going to be really difficult and also unrealistic. Just FYI before I offer any modeling techniquesā€¦

One way to model a strap around the handle is to use Shrink wrap modifier with Solidify modifier. Here is tutorial:

prime8brain suggests arraying a single ā€œweaveā€ along a path and afterwards converting to a mesh in his thread here. Looks promisingā€¦

Thanks a lot,i will try some stuff and tell you if it worked :wink:
Found a tutorial which could work nicely

someone recently made a ā€œCeltic knotā€ addon (its here somewhere but Iā€™m not at my pc sorry)
not sure if it will help you but it might!!