Modeling a lamp - PLZ HELP

This is another image that i can’t get how to do it. I am trying with a cilinder subdivided and then im using subdivision surface, but i just can’t get the right thing :S. Can anyone help?

Is the image above your work or a reference image? If it’s your work what’s wrong? And instead of having a cylinder originally the desired height of the lamp and then squeezing certain points using subdivisions. I would go about modeling the thing completely differently.

shrink the cylinder along the z axis that would start the base and then extrude it your way up the lamp, resizing for the curves along the way. This method is way more effective and is explained a little simpler in this tutorial.

Hopefully I explained that well and it was what you were looking for :slight_smile: If you need any further help feel free to pm me :wink:

Yes it’s a reference image :P. And THANKS :D. I’ll let you know if i have any other doubts :slight_smile:

Nurbs cylinder can work as well.

you could also simply make a cross setion of your bottle and then use spin to do it

that way you control the shape and it will spin in a ciruclar fashion which is always symetrical !

and before using spin make a copy of you cross section
but you can also Ctrl-Z to come back before the spin and change you cross section if you don’t like it!

happy 2.5

Ok thanks :smiley:

I suggest that you simply continue in the way that you are going, at least for now. What you’ve come up with so far looks pretty darned good! :slight_smile:

A little specular splash-of-light on the front of the bottom disc, just to bring it out a little bit, and you’ve got a nice looking glass lamp-base, or vase.

That is just the reference image :P. What i’m trying to do is how to get to that :stuck_out_tongue:

Just spin it, and use a subsurf modifier. Easy.

Does anyone know how to change the opacity of a object in blender?

What do you mean by opacity? If you’re referring to how much light passes through an object, you can do this in the material settings. Here are some very basic settings to follow, though this page refers to Blender version 2.49 - http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Every_Material_Known_to_Man/Glass

Under Transparency, you’re going to want to turn on Ray Tracing, turn down the Alpha value, turn up the Fresnel (as strange as it sounds, the “S” in Fresnel is silent). Play around with the gloss until you’re happy.

Thank you a lot :smiley:

By far the fastest method is to use a curve a Bevel Object on a curve, as the screen shot shows.

There are a few gotchas, though, but nothing too heavy. This profile took a few minutes to make, and it is really easy to edit, since changing any part of the curve will instantly update the 3D model.