Modeling a realistic cymbal: grooves and logo

Hi all,

I’m working on a realistic model of a cymbal (a percussion instrument). Thus far I’ve modeled the basic shape (using Catmull-Clark subdivision) and set the basic material properties (combination of an anisotropic shader and a glossy shader).

There are two more things I’d like to add:

• Concentric grooves (another option would be dimples instead of grooves). Should I use bump mapping for this purpose? I have absolutely no experience with this.
  • A simple logo on the cymbal (for example a text “ABC”). Should I use UV mapping?

A good example of cymbals with both grooves and dimples are these ones.

Any hints, examples or references to useful tutorials are most welcome! I attached the .blend file.

Attachments

CymbalRender.blend (505 KB)

Yes, bump map/normal map would be the way to go to keep it low poly.

Either bump map, or model out rings by make several loop cuts around the main ring, and raise and lower the rings to make the ridges , then baking it and making a normal map.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D4AXXEuuio (Bump Maps)

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2010/06/30/normal_maps_blender_2_5/ (Baking Normals)

Hope that helps.

A wave-texture mapped to the object in a bulls-eye fashion would be another good way to make the ridges. Use the texture to modify normals. Definitely use nodes to allow you to get the effects separated.

Thanks, that sounds like an interesting approach. Do you have any examples or references?