modeling advice

look at the image I used subsurf because this section has straight and curved edges but I
don’t like the result. I use the shift e key to get it straight. Look at the problems areas in the red circle. how can i fix this up without adding more geometry?

digiman

Attachments

Show a wire shot also, so we can see what your geometry is already doing - you’ll get a quick response then.

turn off the sub surf modifier,
then make sure tou dont have any triangles on the edge, and make sure all your edges are straight, and then hit “a” key and set smooth, and then control “R” or “N” for recalculate normals, then add the sub suf and shift “e” to creas the mesh.

hope this helps
www.dragonflystudios.org/Test

Yet another idea here: make sure that you don’t have any faces welded inside your object. In other words, if your object is a cube, make sure it’s hollow (especially if you’re using subsurf!) I often make that mistake myself and it gives a result that looks exactly like what you’ve got. Agree with craigomatic, a wire would be nice.

Here’a the wire shot. Sal I tried what you suggested but that does not work any better.
John, I know what you mean I don’t think I have anything inside To make that step effect
I have to put another edge loop other than that I don’t know what i can do. tried fooling with it but it is hard to make straight edges and curved edges on the same object making it look good. Also any thoughts on modeling that tail section or is mine the correct way to do it? The wire on the right is with subsurf on

digiman

Attachments

I think you need to replace those two tris towards the bottom of the object with quads. That’s all I can think of…

Edit: included a pic below.

Attachments

I would suggest to use at least two edge loops on your edges, maybe even three, this is a good general practice, that way you have enough geometry to make a clean edge
3 straight edge loops side by side running from top to bottom, that is what I whould suggest

John, you really need the tri in that area considering the shape. Sal your suggestion helped out a lot but still not 100% I have heard that making mechanical models is not Blender’s strongpoint I would like to download a blend file of an airplane so i can see the geometry for myself.
thanks to everyone who responded

digiman

Try making your triangular shapes with quads as shown below…

Attachments

You can keep the tris if you like them. But don’t let them be on the seam.
The solution can look like this:

select the face loop around the whole mesh, hit E and cancel the extruding immediately. Then use alt+S to give it an offset.

Thanks for both of your suggestions I’ll try them on my next model

digiman