modeling an object

I’ve decided to make a pdf tutorial about
“how to model …” and to offer it for free

So my goal is to model an object
I plan to make the tutorial from a beginner point of view
so what questions should tutorial answer and what to MODEL ?

If you’re confident enough with your skills, to make a tutorial, try to think back to the time when you were a beginner.

What questions did you have, and what kind of tutorial did you wish you would have had?

I prefer PDF or HTML tutorials. Video tutorials are difficult for me to follow.

I would like to see a tutorial on how to use the more advanced modeling tools and techniques without taking up a lot of time. I can pretty much model anything, but I don’t know hardly any ‘tricks-of-the-trade’ that experienced modelers know and use.

As far as what to model, I’d recommend some type of vehicle – that way you can show the different modeling techniques that one can use to model in Blender.

also depends how and what you start modelling!

like mechanical or organic modelling!
do you use simple mesh or with surbsurf ?
or do you do it with Nurbs surface or with curves

so depends what your modelling
you might not be able to get eveything into one tut !

but wish you good luck it’s not easy to start from scratch
also done for peoples with some CG training or complete newbies with no idea about the CG world!

happy 2.5

so any other suggestions for modeling ?

You could easily do both mechanical (hard-body) and soft-body modeling in a tutorial. I would recommend sticking with poly modeling rather than NURBS as that is the easiest to learn.

NURBS are great but it takes time to get used to how they work. I would say if you are wanting to be a power modeler then NURBS would be the way to go.

i prefer video tutorials. if u post as video tutorial means try to compress the file size or split as many parts.

you can try interior modeling tutorials or exterior modeling tutorials.

PDF for a summarized list of commands and still shots of the work in progress. Video for a more indepth step by step work (don’t forget to mention all the shortcuts you press during the process!)

The first model I tried to make was a dinosaur, a tutorial about how to model a lo-poly brachiosaurus… That introduced me to the importance of mirror, extruding, edge loops, the quads, the evil triangles… I would suggest a dinosaur! They are very easy to make – of course you can also try to make a dog… a bald dog, but it’s structure is very hard to get right, specially their hind-legs.

A dinosaur!

And later a more geometrical item, like a table, a chair (to introduce the duplicate tool and the axis constraints). Chose whatever you feel more comfortable with (an humanoid, I would leave that for a third modeling tutorial since they are very tricky to come up, specially when talking about hands, ideal topology for the face, etcetera).

To choose a model for a beginner, select an object that can be both simple to begin with but also can easily become much more detailed and complex.

For a beginner to learn modeling with confidence, a simple project can provide a sense of achievement while adding complexity and helps to increase knowledge of the tools with regard to overcoming the “jargon” barrier. An object as simple as a baseball can be a texture mapped UV sphere, but then can lead into actually modeling the stitches and seams. Simple enough for any beginner, yet the complexity is easily scaled up as the learner grows with the tutor. (I use the baseball because it’s fresh on my mind). A hallway is another good example. While it can be as simple as a textured empty elongated cube with windows; it can also be modeled mexican saltillo tile and arched windows trimmed with stone.

I believe that tutorials should cross complexity levels, as this is what really leads a beginner to attempt advanced tasks. Every shortcut should be clearly stated; and most importantly, if you are making a video, please, rehearse it first. Nothing is more frustrating than following a tutorial that tells you to make mistakes. (As a beginner I remember following a tutors instructions and then being forced to start over because of faulty instructions).

Good luck

As I said in the beginning I my goal is to model an object, and not something organic.
I will choose a pdf this time, because I never made an pdf tutorial, and I think it can be improved and printed.

I wanna know what to model ?
For the moment i have to choose between an vehicle, and a simple object.
I will try in this tutorial nurbs only if I consider is a easy way then to use mesh, because works better with mesh, and I think that with mesh you can make more advanced object, while nurbs are just particular cases

so what object should it be, don’t forget that this is one of my goal on this post, to find out exactly what tutorial Blender comunity need :smiley:

PS: Thank you every one !

TUTORIAL FOR MODELING 3D CHIBI ANIME PLEASEEE, AS YOU SEE AT www.pockieninja.com

page not found
I wanna make a tutorial about an object, so nothing organic this time

What you model isn’t really important. The most important thing I would suggest you keep in mind is don’t just show us what buttons to push when modeling a particular object. Anyone can learn that.

Some examples: instead of just saying “delete the default cube and add a uv sphere,” describe the several differet ways that a model could be started and tell us why you chose the method that you’re demonstrating. Also, never say anything like “just play around with this slider until you get something you like,” nor should you just give the value to put in that slider. One of the biggest frustrations I have with Blender tools is not knowing how they work and what a reasonable range is for the properties (the tooltips are helping, but most are still missing). Some tools behave HUGELY different at 1 than at 1.1 and that can be really frustrating when the tute says either “play around” or “here’s the value.” Instead, try to explain what the tool does, what you’re trying to get out of the tool in this particular situation, and what the range is for values that make sense.

There are other things that you truly do have to play around with, but it’s a matter of artistic eye versus knowing the tools. Facial modeling is really REALLY hard. Especially for beginners. Something like that which needs to be “nudged” around a whole lot, try to explain what you’re seeing, what you’re looking for, and why you’re making the changes that you do.

Good explanations make your tute more than just a tute. They make better Blenders.

Hurleyman <><

the input values differ because the values are relative.
If I create a CUBE with 2 blender units and another one with 3.2 blender units. After I will scale, the first will have 1 blender unit and the other one will have 1.6 blender units, so yes this is a very good point :slight_smile:

Thank you everyone for your comment.
The poll results are:
1) video tutorials with 8 votes
2) html tutorials with 4 votes
3) pdf tutorials with only 2 votes

So Saturday I will start to make tot tutorial.
I have to choose one of this topic :smiley:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mi24CP_edit.jpg helicopter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:OCPA-2005-03-09-165522.jpg tank
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:F-16_June_2008.jpg jet fighter aircraft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BTR70_002.jpg army tab
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:J-24_yacht_racing,_Sydney_Harbour.jpg Racing yachts

The tutorial will be available first in video format, html format and in the end I will make it into pdf tutorial :smiley:

Thank you everyone for comments
Let the party begin :slight_smile: ser

i agree with u iulyan25 the page not found. and information is ?