Modeling Chaos Hound

Hello guys i decided to start modeling a Chaos hunt, i will rig it, texture it, and probably try to make a cool render out of it, i Only have a side view picture but im still going to try it

im not a pro on this, so i will REALLY REALLY X1000 Appriciate tips during this process , if im doing something wrong or just if i can do something a better way ,thouse kind of things will help !!! :smiley: i will post screenshots as the projects advances :slight_smile:

Attachments

Okey this is my next step, im making the leg and paws :slight_smile: i hope im doing it correctly XD

Attachments

Okey im having a small doubt,

As in the picture attached… You can see that the edge is not straight as the rest , thats probably because of me tweaking the mesh…

i want to know if there is a way to make this go back to its place like, so that it is a perfect circle ot does it have to be done by hand?

not sure if i explain myself :smiley:

Attachments

Okey here its the wirerender of my mesh is it good enough? :smiley:

Attachments

:frowning: No one is helping out but… i guess ill keep posting my updates :S

Okey… Well…

i decided not to add fur to my hound because my Computer cant render particle system well.

so im going to do something similar to a hound but just with some armor on him like a war hound.

Here ill leave the rig picture and the .blend for you guys to check it out and give your opinions + critique :slight_smile:

Attachments

lionrasta.blend (551 KB)

Hey shotforce,
If you are using Blender 2.5x then there is a nifty little addon that you can enable called ‘Loop tools’ (under ‘Mesh’ in Add-ons)
this gives you a tool called ‘Circle’ in the tool shelf

I have not used this tool much but it kind of smooths out the vertices in an edge loop to roughly
shape a circle. Give it a try.

You could try card-based fur then with a hair texture UVmapped onto it, then set the visualization of a particle system to use the card object. It would be a more crude approach then actual geometry-based hair, but would require less polygons and likely use a bit less memory (as they would be instanced)

The reference looks interesting, would be neat to see it interpreted in 3D.

Thank you very much! i downloaded looptools for blender its a very cool tool , and yes thats what i was looking for, it definatily solved my problem hehe! :slight_smile:

You could try card-based fur then with a hair texture UVmapped onto it, then set the visualization of a particle system to use the card object. It would be a more crude approach then actual geometry-based hair, but would require less polygons and likely use a bit less memory (as they would be instanced)

The reference looks interesting, would be neat to see it interpreted in 3D.

i dont get it… XD card-based fur im going to look it up maybe its a solution, thanks you for the information bud hehe :smiley:

Hey there, saw your project and it looks really interesting… I’ve got a few tips on the modelling, I hope it’s not too late to chip in.

First of all I’d recommend getting more reference photos! Basically what you’re modelling is a cartoon wolf, so I’d start with a whole bunch of wolf photos to help with getting the shape of the basic model, then just scale it and tweak it to make it into a beast.

You should find this helps a lot with getting the anatomy right, and making things look more wolf-like. At the moment the legs come out from the side of the body, which is more like a lizard than a wolf. The profile is starting to look really good, it’s just the front and back that aren’t quite there yet.

I’d also look at edge flow, as there isn’t much in the model at the moment. The head in particular needs some refinement.

I’ve attached a low-poly wolf blend for you to look at. (You’ll have to excuse me as I’ve not modelled a wolf before and only spent an hour or two on it.) It’s rough and there is certainly plenty of room for improvement, but hopefully it helps. It’s probably easier for you to rip that apart and play with it than me try and describe what I mean in terms of topology fixes.

Wolf.blend (439 KB)

Keep at it, look forward to seeing the end result.

tHAT IS A VERYYY nice wolf! thanks for your time spent :smiley: ,

yes you are right it does look like a lizzard lol, i did some retouches on the head and the whole body now its looking better but yeah your right, i need to take thouse legs in ! im going to do that right now :smiley:

and again… yes you are correct, i should of based the model on a wolf, im going to prepare myself better the next time i start a model like this. thanks for all thouse tips :slight_smile:

EDIT: XD i think im not going to put the legs in… because i went a little too far with the modeling and its kinda complicated now but i will have it in mind next time . i always had that leg problem with dog-like models -…-

Why thank you.

It’s a fantasy creature so looking a little reptilian isn’t necessarily a bad thing either. Sorry I was a bit late with the tips… Just keep going. It’s all good practise.

hehehehe :D, dont worry , thouse tips will be helpfull at any other time :stuck_out_tongue:

Okey check it out i got new screenshots this is how the model its looking like i added some armor to it. but the armor its still WIP :stuck_out_tongue:

soon ill move on to texture witch i got no idea but ill look for some tuts if anyone got some handy post themm uppp for meee hehehehehe

NOTE: The hound has a render subsurf of level 1 or 2 not sure, so it maight look kind of rounded XD

Attachments

oKEY GUYS IM MOVED UP TO THE TEXTURING! Im not sure if im doing it right but i seamed the model then i unwraped it and im using texture paint!

Attachments

Mmmm looking good, have you though of giving it more detail using the mutli resolution modifier and the sculpt tools?
Since you have really clean topology i think sculpting would be a fairly straight forward operation and it would give it more believability.

Wow thank you for this big tip, yes i will check thouse links and study them i will practice more, i really need and want to get better with my models.

have you though of giving it more detail using the mutli resolution modifier and the sculpt tools?

i tried using the sculpting tool but it wasent working so weell, i guess it was because i have a low number of vertices, not sure :s

i checked the multi_resolution modifier, i have never used it ,i used subsurf, im not sure what the multi-resolution does, i will investigate tho :smiley:

Also if you serious about doing good 3d models you need to learn some theory behind edge loops, take a look at this thread

yes im serious, thats for that big tip im going to chrck it outttt i apreciate your time :smiley: hehe thanks again :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m very glad you found the information useful, bw blender 2.58, the latest version is out today, I suggest you download it from the blender official site, the sculpt tools are more stable in it, and well its got some other new features here and there.

ill be waiting for your next update, KEEP it UP!

Allright thats great i dint know it was coming out today o.o, im going to get it now!! xp

Okey …well this is the render of my hound with some armor on him.

Note: The sit, is not done, it just has any texture as you can see.

so yeah… Im not very happy with it :s , i dont know how to get him to look better.

the textures took me alot of time since i think this is like my first time actually making the textures, XD

Okey. im glad to hear opinions and critique i need to get this hound to look good :smiley:

doubts i have :
1- for the inside of the mouth what should i do? should i just texture it black? :s
2- does it look very lowpoly for rendering and animation? it has around 4K faces in total

Attachments