Modeling CLoth

Thanks Rich for this amazing addon! Its like dream come true for me. :yes:

For anyone who has problem with saving and undo, for the past weeks I tried to fix these problems and the good news is I think I already did it. You can try it on my git repository (https://github.com/ucupumar/Modeling-Cloth). The code is still messy but at least it works.

For Rich, I can do a pull request if you want to use my implementation, I still need to clean my code though.

PS: I still disable other addons (SurfaceFollow, DynamicTension, and UVShape) because I use different register method.

I’ll definitely take a look at your code. I think you’re the first person to attempt to contribute. Pull request could work or I can just combine your changes with mine. I have a lot of updates that haven’t made it to github yet.

Okay, I’ll try to create a pull request then. Hopefully I can do it later this week.

both are 404

Try https://github.com/the3dadvantage/Modeling-Cloth/archive/master.zip
or https://github.com/ucupumar/Modeling-Cloth/archive/master.zip

Hi Rich, while I tried to merge your newest commit, I found new bug where self collision can cause the cloth jittering, as you can see on the screenshot below.

Do you know what happens there?

Yeah. The subsurf modifier is probably causing it. The collision is checking for points in proximity to faces. Since there are faces created in the subsurf modifier the code that eliminates point checks the faces the points are in fails. Try turning off the subsurf and let me know. I’m fixing it in the code in the meanwhile

There is a bug in the collision system when the collider object has shape keys. I’m using: me = ob.to_mesh() to get the location of the vertices with modifiers applied, for armatures and stuff. When I do bpy.data.meshes.remove(me), the shape keys from the duplicate mesh are still in bpy.data.shape_keys. They keep piling up until I run out of ram. I can’t figure out a way around this. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

Thanks!

Would you have the time to produce a short video of your character garment workflow? I would be particularly interested in a pants tutorial.

I’ve just started working with your addon and I am convinced that it could be the linchpin of our character garment pipleline.

Using the latest github download, I have encountered a bug where the addon stops functioning. It does not crash Blender or apparently affect any other functionality.

I don’t have a handle on the steps to reproduce this bug. By trying several different combinations of actions, I have occasionally recovered from the bug but I cannot consistently do so.

Does anyone have a solution or workaround?

1 Like

I am getting this error when trying to install it. Any idea why this happen?

i’m testing this out for creating some simple clothing on a character. It works for the most part, but I can’t get the object collision to behave well. It always clips or starts jittering against the collision object. Can anyone let me know which settings are factors in the collision performance?

It looks like you are having trouble importing one of the libraries: numpy
Open a python console inside of blender and type: import numpy
Let me know if you get any errors. It might have something to do with the Blender version

1 Like

The collisions are really simple points against faces. It struggles with sharp corners. Real world size does affect it. Try scaling your entire scene up or down and play with the collision margin. If you want to link the blend file you’re working with or a proxy of the file I could also take a look at it.
Best!

1 Like

I’m trying to understand how the pinning vertex group works. And by that I mean I can’t seem to get it to work? Anyone had any luck with it?

The way it’s supposed to work is if you assign a weight of more than zero to a vertex, that vertex will remain unaffected by the cloth forces so it doesn’t move. I’m noticing sometimes the addon behaves differently when installed than it does when I’m actively developing it. But it should be as simple as selecting vertices in edit mode, applying a weight of more than zero then running the simulation. The weighted vertices should remain static.

1 Like

Ah, hmm. Well that’s what I’ve been doing, and I can confirm that it does not work :frowning:

Overall, I’m looking for a solution to handle small sims on outfits when reposing models, such as draping sleeves and skirts. I make most of my clothes in Marvelous Designer, but then I’m stuck having to import the animation of the pose back into MD, run a new sim, and then export that back to blender. And it means you can’t change anything on the clothing! (Or use force fields, etc).

This tool can nearly handle what I want, but it’s still too fuzzy on the collisions. I hope you will improve it in that area, and would be happy to spend money on a paid version or donate if it did what I need. There’s no good way to handle this stuff in Blender right now!

Hi Richcolburn! Great addon!!! after struggling on sculpting the creases and folds on fabrics for months when I saw your addon I almost cried…

I am quite curious about the warning content, what does that angry rhinoceros mean? I also use rhinoceros a lot in my work, I just can’t imagine what’s the relationship between your addon and that animal ( or software )…

The warning is just good common sense. Think about it. If there was an angry chipmunk behind you, well… A chipmunk is not much of a threat so it would hardly be worth the warning. After all, chipmunks are quite small and rarely trained in advanced combat. Not to say smallness is directly proportional to threat. If we consider an angry wasp for example, or a radioactive hummingbird. Kittens are particularly dangerous when you consider the sharpness of their tiny teeth and claws. I would have directed the warning at kittens if it weren’t for the overwhelming number of public service videos that already do this. Public awareness of rhinoceros danger is, however, scarce at best.
The connection to Rhinoceros 3D software hadn’t occurred to me. The word “angry” as it appears in the warning, is not one that I would generally use to describe any kind of software. Strictly speaking, software doesn’t experience emotion yet, as far as I know. In spite of this I still often suspect Windows harbors a great deal of malice towards its users.
Let’s hope this never happens, but in the event someone is using modeling cloth and they happen to be trampled by an angry rhinoceros (the large animal, not the software) well, they can’t say I didn’t warn them.

2 Likes

Good answer! Thank you for responding to my boring question… I will believe that the rhinoceros in my computer is innoccent, thanks for the warning anyway.