modeling clothes?

hello…i was just wondering how to model/put clothes on a human in blender…any help will be appreciated…thanks!:slight_smile:

Search the forums. There are a number of threads addressing the same question.

I tried using the cloth simulation and it’s quite OK for experiments.

The cloth simulation isn’t perfect (relative to me) yet since the cloth cuts through itself.

If you don’t mind, here are clothes I did for a little ant character I made at Uni to kill time:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/Ryu_Kaiser/anty.jpg

Wolf - when you say cloth simulation do you mean the cloth patch build or softbodies? I thought that both had self-collision detection - well softbodies do at any rate.

That is a pretty decent test you got there - making clothes is hard.

Koba

I had found a great tutorial on the subject, but can’t find it at the moment :confused:

Basically what it said was, to take your human model (or whatever you want to put your clothes on), then copy the mesh of the part of the body that you want to put your clothes on. You then enlarge the part that you have copied a little bit, so that it fits over your original mesh, and use it as a base to make whatever clothes you like.

Hope that helps, and hope you can understand my ramblings…:rolleyes:

Pervical - that is exactly what I did when I tried it (no simulation though). The only difference is that I used scultp “inflate” to make the mesh bigger all round. That is the only reliable way of doing it.

Next time I will try softbodies with self collision and see how that turns out.

Koba

Maybe it was one that I wrote, which is no more online. To enlarge the mesh copy you scale along normals using alt+S instead of S and remodel as a garment. To help rigging the new object I had a script which is now broken, but you can use “Bone Weight Copy” which comes with Blender.

cool!..thanks guys…you are all a VERY big help…but now i have another question…how do i use cloth simulation?

:smiley:

Select your mesh you want to be the cloth.

Press F7 to enter object context menus and click on the physics button (should be the orange/yellow particle looking button or you could just press F7 twice).

Click on “Enable Soft Bodies” in the “Soft Body” panel.

Now if you don’t want to use weight, then you might like to use vertex groups. That is, if you want certain regions to be cloth like while other regions to be non-cloth like, then you use weight painting on vertext group which you should assign to the “Use Goal” pop-up button.

If you only want to test soft bodies quickly, just turn “Grav” (gravity) to 9.8 and set the Goal value to 0.0 (very clothly like object).

Points to note:

1. The more vertices you have for an object, the more realistic your object will deform like a cloth. This, however, will mean it’ll drain your computer processing power a bit if you have too much vertices.

2. You might like to turn on subsurf to see the cloth smoothly deform. For testing purpose, just use set smooth on your cloth object rather than use subsurf so you can see where the cloth deform easily and it’ll simulate faster.

Have fun!