Modeling Details on a spacecraft

Hello one and all. I’m back with a problem that I need for some design ideas:

I’m working on a giant space barge/colony and the ship is huge. I’ll post pictures of it when I post the WIP thread of Corinth Challenge. But anyway, I need a tutorial, preferably more than one, on quick and easy modeling of buildings and spaceship greebles and vents and ports and etc.

I’ve used the discombobulator a little but I need something that’s a little easier to control the details. Now don’t get me wrong, I’ve been detailing like crazy and the process is looking good but I need more ideas. Thanks a bunch!

~Jace

This is for Lightwave, but can be applied to Blender
http://www.ap3d.com/betterspace/betterspace-tut-00.htm
scroll down to “adding mesh detail”

I supose you dont want to ‘cheat’ and use displacement mapping.

Most ‘components’ on spaceships are used several times around the ship (doors/ vents/ comms systems, weapons, even panel designs) so why not ‘modulize’ them and then put them together scaling and rotating to give variance.

I would use displacement mapping for the general topology then add modelled components

Quoted for agreement. Basically all you need, besides some patience and well organized modelling.

I had another tutorial but sadly it went down when sci-fi meshes crashed.

And I personally would not advice to use displacement mapping, especially not in Blender. Use that only when the ships are out of focus and not too close to the camera.

The other drawback to DISP mapping is that it looks terrible unless the mesh is intensely subdivided. This increases the polygon count and increases render time.

NOR mapping does not need subdivision, but it is very blurry.

Right. A friend told me about displacement mapping and I looked into it but it looks bad unless its on a low ply mesh that’s yes, in the background. If you also have any pics on meshes you thought were particularly good detailing, let me see them so I can give my creativity a boost :slight_smile:

Thanks.

~Jace

The other drawback to DISP mapping is that it looks terrible unless the mesh is intensely subdivided. This increases the polygon count and increases render time.

NOR mapping does not need subdivision, but it is very blurry.

dude!! If your going to model all the detail anyway the poly count will be high. I was just saying using the two techniques together can get a good result…sheeesh!!!

Here are some quick and dirty images I made of a smooth subdivided sphere with a displacement map.
In the second image I have a flat octogonal plate on the nose which has been subdivided finer than the sphere underneath.

Attachments