Modeling from measurements

Can Blender use units other than “Blender Units”?

Thanks!
Brian

Under Scene button, there is Units setting. There you can choose Metric or Imperial.

Blender can use any units you desire.

It would be great if Blender could display “.1875” as “3/16”…

I’ve gradually memorized the decimal forms of “1/8”, “3/8”, “5/8”, and “7/8”, but Blender doesn’t want to display the decimal forms for sixteenths.

How well does Blender work with the “Imperial” setting? Will it give fractions?

Nop, I don’t think you can have fractions. But, I know what you mean. Imperial system is a pain. US were talking about going metric many years ago. But it is hard to teach old dog new trick you know. We are still just talking about it. Toolmakers love it because they can sell metric and “regular” wrenches!

Normally I don’t use imperial system a lot so I’m not really confortable with it but in Blender units work this way :

for example, when you move an object some inches along an axis, the value will be displayed in inches as long as the lenght of the translation is not bigger than a foot and then the value will be displayed in feet while it’s not bigger than the next unit (a yard I believe) … etc

It works the same way for the grid when zooming.

Now, the values are always displayed with decimal values but for example in the field for the translation along an axis, you can write something like 5/16" or 5/16in and Blender will do the operation and replace this fraction value by a decimal value.

“Under Scene button, there is Units setting. There you can choose Metric or Imperial.”

Awesome… thanks this is exactly what I was hoping for!

“Now, the values are always displayed with decimal values but for example in the field for the translation along an axis, you can write something like 5/16” or 5/16in and Blender will do the operation and replace this fraction value by a decimal value."

Even more awesome! Displaying fractions would be great but I can get over that.

Getting the USA onto Metric would be incredible. I do NOT like our current system. And get RID of “Day Light Savings” time shifts. Archaic and unneeded. I digress… :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help!