Modeling Gauntlet for 3D print

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I am a newbie for Blender as well.
Currently I am trying to model a gauntlet so I can print it with 3D printer for hobby.

I am currently seeking advise of how to create an object like below with better efficiency.

I have created a sample with “Bezier Curve + Spin” similar to “how to create a wine glass tutorial” I found online.
But I got problem with modifying the shape of the model more smoothly.

I drag the vertices that I want to modify but it doesn’t change the shape of the model smoothly like a curve.
Also it is hard to determine which vertices to be selected when I want to reform the model to have a different curve.

Would any one please point a direction for me, what tools or function I could use to make this modification more efficient, accurate and with smooth edges?

Thank you.

Attachments

armor - 03-2.blend (911 KB)

Since you worked out the general form of gauntlet, you can use it to layout final form by using re-topology. Just hand lay mesh pattern by hand. Using mirror modifier and keep it simple and smooth it out with subsurface modifier.

I’d suggest start from default cylinder, add some loopcuts and use Proportional edit Scale on edge loops to get initial shape. Then Bisect or knife cut through the bigger diameter end and delete part.
To further adjust shape use copy of the object which you Shrinkwrap onto the original and again use Proportional edit this time on selected vertices.
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/36317

Thanks a bunch to Ridix and Eppo.

After I got some direction from you guys I have created some like this now, which is much closer to my intended object.

Now I got another question where I want to put emblem on the Gauntlet, but having hard time to seek for a best way again.

I am currently stuck with a method where I want to create the emblem with a flat 2D plane and then bend it to have a shape which looks like the surface of the gauntlet and then lay it on top of it to extrude it as emblem.

I have created a test project to see if I can bend the cube object like what I wanted, but the result is as following:

I tried to follow the tutorial below, but the result isn’t looking similar like their sample
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Deforming_Meshes_using_the_Curve_Modifier

My original thought is something like this:

Could anyone point me a direction of what tools or functions could I use to make the result like this?

Thank you.

Sorry if I double posted, my web froze during submitting the post

Thanks a bunch to Ridix and Eppo.

After I got some direction from you guys I have created some like this now, which is much closer to my intended object.

Now I got another question where I want to put emblem on the Gauntlet, but having hard time to seek for a best way again.

I am currently stuck with a method where I want to create the emblem with a flat 2D plane and then bend it to have a shape which looks like the surface of the gauntlet and then lay it on top of it to extrude it as emblem.

I have created a test project to see if I can bend the cube object like what I wanted, but the result is as following:

I tried to follow the tutorial below, but the result isn’t looking similar like their sample
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Deforming_Meshes_using_the_Curve_Modifier

My original thought is something like this:

Could anyone point me a direction of what tools or functions could I use to make the result like this?

Thank you.

You could use bump/normalmap texture on the object itself or you could copy patch of the mesh from model an use displacement texture/sculpt and add some thickness after. Latter would increase vertex count significantly though.
PS Looking at images - take some experimentation using LoopTools addon - mesh edges look jagged and Relax on loop smooths this out. Any modifications on mesh while Shrinkwrap is in effect is better if Proportional edit is on and influence set appropriately.

Thanks eppo,

I am currently trying to download “LoopTools Addon” but when I clicked download link from official page, it only takes me to a link with many files which I don’t know where I can find the script for the Addon.

Would you please let me know which file or which folder should I download, so I can install it in Blender?

I am simply lost after getting into this page after clicked the download link:

get the latest build 2.74 looptool is included in addons

happy bl

I believe you just need to tick checkmark in User Preferences- Addons.
LoopTools addon is included in the default blender installation you download from blender.org.

do u have high quality pic for the motifs on this
otherwise how do you want to do it ?

happy bl

Thanks RickyBlender and eppo with reply.

I only have a low resolution motif of the emblem, such as below:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]383286[/ATTACH]

But it doesn’t has to be precised, anything looks like a emblem will do for the detailed part.
I have experience with creating 3D model from flat 2D image I have created with photoshop, via inkscape and then extrude, so I was thinking using something similar to this technique.

I am currently thinking of following steps, please let me know am I on the right track:

1. Using photoshop to trace the main motif and use free material online for the detailed part.
  2. Pass it to Inkscape to make it as vector scale diagram
  3. Pass the svg to blender and convert it to mesh
  4. extrude the emblem to have depth
  5. bend the emblem to suit the shape of gauntlet surface
  6. lay it on top of the gauntlet object
  7. Join 2 objects as one

I am currently having issue with step 5, where I need to bend the emblem to suit surface of the gauntlet.

Please point me a direction if I am off the track.
Thank you

the pic did not show up!

here are 2 other ways possible with blender

1 - Dynatopo
you could locally sculpt the details
if you need nice topo then do a retopo to get quads

2 - Skin modifier
you can start shaping it with skin modifier
then apply it and add details with dynatopo or manually add details
if you need nice topo then do a retopo to get quads

blender has all the tools necessary to work in 3 D
so learn how to use these and it will be faster but need to practice I guess