Modeling Questions

Hi, is there a tutorial that explains some of the questions below. I don’t want to bother people with all of my questions. Of course if you want to answer any of my questions I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Questions

I had a cube with one face missing. I then selected all four vertices and then pressed (Shift + F) to close the open face. It closed it but why did it create a diagonal edge across the face. I only wanted one 4 sided poly.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/1931/cubek.png

Deleting Objects
In Blender when a face is selected it takes 2 steps just to delete it. In Cinema4D when a face is selected you just select the “delete” key. Is there a single key to delete a selection or is this a 2 step process?

How do I tab between Vertex, Edge and Face mode?

How do I use the Blender Mesh Tools (T key)?

How can I add Vertex in an empty space?

Can I cut a hole (for a window) in a single polygon like I can in Cinema 4D?

I then selected all four vertices and then pressed (Shift + F) to close the open face
Press F to fill it with 1 face (Ctrl+F shows all the Edge tools)

Is there a single key to delete a selection or is this a 2 step process?
Normally 2 step process. But I checked the keymap for deleting in Mesh mode (mesh.delete), and when the type is set to ‘Only Faces’, it deletes with 1 click. So you could add a new key map with it’s own shortcut for Delete Only Faces

How do I tab between Vertex, Edge and Face mode?
Ctrl+Tab

How do I use the Blender Mesh Tools (T key)?
? You click on 'em? Be more specific if you can.

How can I add Vertex in an empty space?
What’s an empty space? If it’s a mesh object without any vertices, just use Shift+A in edit mode to add a plane, join the 4 vertices with Ctrl+M if you want only 1

Can I cut a hole (for a window) in a single polygon like I can in Cinema 4D?
… and how does Cinema 4D do it?
Have a plane, delete the face (faces only), extrude that what remains and scale it down

To add single vertex deselect all and Ctrl-LMB where you want to place - make sure you are in vertex sel. mode to see it.
If you have already selected vertex Ctrl-LMB creates vertex connected to previously selected - the same about edges and faces.

Window:

C4D has a tool called Inner Extrude. All you do is select the face, pick Inner Extrude icon, drag a mouse or inter offset.

With Blender you need to select a face, hot key [E] to extrude, inter number zero for zero distance extrude, press [Enter] to get out of extrude mode, hot key [S] to scale, drag mouse, press [Enter] to get out of scale mode.

Thanks so much Sago, Jawra and Ridix.
I will go over these tonight and post any questions. Sago, sorry, I will try and be more specific on some of my questions. :slight_smile: Thanks.