Modeling Speakers, Amps, Audio equipment

Here is my latest attempt at modeling audio equipment in 2 different scenes. I made the bookshelf speakers, Marshall Amp, Turntable, and Transparent speaker in these scenes, as well as the televisions (made from the amps after the fact)

2 Likes

This looks pretty real :mag:

I don’t know if those are supposed to be some kind of boutique special edition marshalls, but the casing is usually waaaay rounder.

Also, those little Caps on the Edges to protect them from prying would really add to the feel.

Then again, some high-end models maybe do not have these as they are for studio use and not touring/live recording?

Still round af tho :coconut:

Also, consider the very coarse leather texture with unrealistically deep ridges and lower roughness/more of da shine :sparkles:

Also, your amps have 8 inputs and no knob? Are these some kind of Speakers i don’t know of?

You could use Faceplate Drawings to aid. Just slap them on the Plane(as a texture) and Put all the Knobs where… well where the knobs go.

Thank you for the advice! You are right on all points - I tried to do this within like 30 minutes and got impatient with all of the details…which happens more often than I care to admit. Was mostly trying to get this to a point where I can throw it in an archviz rendering and have it almost look real but I have to push through the tougher details next time. I will definitely try the faceplate method. I was doing it by going back and forth between a picture and could not figure out how to add the faceplate writing after I had created the metallic shader. I guess you could say it is a ‘special edition’ but more like I just got lazy. You are totally right about the roundness - I will try a version that’s less sharp…

Can you give any advice on how to add the text to the model once it is done? I was thinking to use some mix of transparent/diffuse shader and add over the metal texture. Thx for your time and advice again!

In cases like this, i usually isolate the aspects that i want to affect my shader’s parameters via color ramp node.

F.e. , i want the white parts to be transparent. So, i plug it into a color ramp, reverse the sliders so that white is left and black is right (it now outputs the white as black) and move the white slider reeeally close to the black one, so that ONLY white is black and everything else is white:

… and then i plug that into the alpha socket of the principled. and so on.

The text was black already, so i used a color ramp to make everything else white but the text (kinda the other way round), and plugged that into metalness. boom, text is non-metallic, plate is metallic. same for colour, same for roughness. i wanted rough text but glossy metal. the bump map is a nice detail, i THINK on my marshall the text was indented/C’n’C’ed (:D) but it might as well just have been the knobs on my guitar, it’s been a while.

Then the noise texture is just to get a bit of a brushed metal look, which not all marshalls have. also it’s a bit too shiny. Play around with coloour ramps! I think Ian Hubert has done this somewhere, i hope i can find it.

Yup.

this man…