Modeling with disability

Hey guys
I was wondering if you could help me find some information for someone with a disability.
I received an email from a guy who is not able to use his hands, he uses a joystick as his mouse.
He would like to get into modeling.
What modeling software could be recommended or special setup might he use.
I would really like to help this guy out.
Any suggestions would be great.

I’m not sure the ‘technical’ vertex pushing type modelling would be suited.

Probably more like a sculpting program, zbrush or 3d coat maybe. Something where he can go and shape however he wants without needing to mangle with the fine details.

Or even a ‘simpler’ nurbs modeller like MOI might be worth a look for sure, it’s supposed to be usable with minimal keyboard input. http://moi3d.com/

Thanks I will have a look at these.

I guess need to ask him what kind of budget he has.

Also look at sculptris, which I believe is a simple but solid sculpting app, I think it’s still free.
http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/

A near by film school (los angeles) had a disabled person come in and they were pressured to enroll him in the animation program because thats what he wanted to do. The instructors and even the program director were pushed to just let him go through the course with passing grades even though the individual couldnt actually do anything which met the requirements. Eventually the program director stepped up and failed him. It was more cruel to take their money and time when they couldnt effectively interact with the software needed, or do what was necessary to make them even do the most basic of things.

My advice is to not lead them on, its sad but true. They wont be able to effectively interact with the software, it will never be a career, and a hobby that cant do even the most basic things, including interact fully with the software.

I don’t know - in my personal experience, people that want to do something will just “figure it out”, regardless of how long it takes, or what accommodations they have to invent for themselves. Charblaze has the right idea - and yes, there were articles online about this a long time ago, it can be done. As for whether you result in a career versus a hobby - there are plenty of people out there with no real disability that still ponder that very idea. More power to him, might see some cool stuff later on.

Nobody here asked for a career. Anybody who can move a cursor can express himself using pretty much any computer program. Who the hell are you to judge? That person shouldn’t be helped, because they will never be as fast as someone without a disability? You disgust me.

You getting “disgusted” at people you have a bias against? Whats new.
As usually you read it wrong, intentionally so and then make your own negatively spewed interpretation.

You never cease to amaze…

As usually you read it wrong, intentionally so and then make your own negatively spewed interpretation.

As usually, you claim that I misinterpret what you said, while at the same time, you aren’t making yourself clear.

Then instead of overreacting, shouldnt you simply ask for clarification? That would seem to be the more logical and rational response, no?

Then instead of overreacting, shouldnt you simply ask for clarification?

Did you somehow not notice that my “interpretation” takes the form of a question? Did you or did you not advise against helping someone on account of their disability preventing them from working “effectively”?

No, those were not questions. Why? Because you were not asking for answers before you made the conclusion “you disgust me”, which means everything prior to that was nothing more than you acting out and using the question marks as a form of rhetorical statement instead.

My advice is simple, dont “lead them on”. Let them know the their chances or limit to what they can and cannot do. I dont know what the OP’s situation is in regards to helping that person, so I didnt say anything more on that front only to keep is as realistic as possible.

If you want to skew that whatever which way suits your bias against me, go ahead. Seems like you constantly need the confirmation.

No, those were not questions. Why? Because you were not asking for answers before you made the conclusion “you disgust me”, which means everything prior to that was nothing more than you acting out and using the question marks as a form of rhetorical statement instead.

Point taken, but that doesn’t absolve you from making yourself clear, either.

My advice is simple, dont “lead them on”. Let them know the their chances or limit to what they can and cannot do. I dont know what the OP’s situation is in regards to helping that person, so I didnt say anything more on that front only to keep is as realistic as possible.

You actually did say more. Despite admittedly not knowing details about the case, your reason for advising against “leading on” (whatever that means) was the assumption that they’ll never be able to use the sofware “effectively”. Which I so subjective as to still make me be disgusted. What might not be effective to you might be very valuable for the person at hand.

From what I’ve tried around, only zbrush is full operative using one hand. (almost)
What you can do with a joy stick there, I can’t say. I’ve seen great traditional painting made holding a brush with mouth or with feet.
I really can’t say. Only your friend will tell us. He could ask pixologic for some help. You never know.
Maybe Sculptris, but I’m not so sure.
Obviously, you can’t handle blender, neither 3dcoat with one hand. Neither SketchUp…
@SaintHaven and Salamander,
OK you have some misunderstanding, as I sometimes had with you, but, please, let it pass, for the moment.

I have been modeling using Blender sometimes ago with one hand on my laptop without mouse. The process wasn’t fast i would say really slow but i did move some vertices and edges. If there is one thing that i have learned while using blender is devotion. If he really wants to model with his joy stick (i just googled it) I believe he can even in Blender.

I think MOI or sculptris would be.

Let’s not forget this guy might have used this joystick for years anyway. Maybe he has a very good grasp on computers.
I mean he’s asking about modelling in the first place, the average Joe doesn’t even think about that.

Wow, Saint Haven and Zalamander are having another cat scratch hissy fit…geez.

maybe he can work with a 3d mouse and/or keyboard or joystick.
This 3d mouse is upported in blender.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/what-is-a-3d-mouse.html

It is also possible to ask developers on #blendercoders at freenode.net

Cheers, mib.

You say he can’t use his hands but he uses a joystick? So he can use his arms just not his fingers?

If so then maybe he could use a really big mouse. Ha I suppose it would be called a rat or cat. Uh, anyway… a big custom made mouse of some sort with really big buttons and enough room for big movements. Precision would be possible with the right sensitivity for arm movements.

The other issue to solve is some sort of keyboard or control surface so he could enter the keystrokes. Heck, it wouldn’t have to be a keyboard it could be a pedal board of some sort.

The mechanics could be built and refined. The electronics side would be inexpensive and not too difficult for an electronics hobbyist. I’d say ready made solutions could be found for controls to computer input if you looked into the robotics hobbyist scene.

Anyway, something to think about and brainstorm on. I’d Blender with ropes and pulleys by my teeth if I had to.

-Larry

if he can move a joystick than maybe you just need to rig up some kind of adapter that could have him move a Wacom pen. I think experimenting with a tablet setup could yield something.