Modellers needed for Open Source MMO Engine Team

Hello everyone,

I know this is a very unorthodox way to get help, but having seen the realistic responses you all give, I thought I’d give it a try.
So, let me begin…

My name is Tristan, and I am the Open Source Project Coordinator for the Multiverse MMO Platform.

Originally, the Multiverse Engine was a commercial platform, requiring a cut of the profits (as opposed to up-front payment). However, due to the recent economic meltdown, investors pulled the company’s funding in early 2010, and the Engine has become outdated. The original site can be found here

As the title says, it is now Open Source, and the source code was handed to the community last month.
I was asked to manage the Engine a few months beforehand, and myself and a dedicated team of volunteers are working on updating the Engine, with the aim of lowering the financial (and experience) barrier to entry for smaller/budget-less studios who simply can’t afford something like the HeroEngine.

At the moment, we do not have a fully functional website that I can present all this to you on, but we will be taking over control of the original site (multiverse.net) in March 2012, and will update it to reflect the Platform’s new status. For now, you can find our temporary homepage at our SourceForge project page, and our new forums at multiverse.forumotion.co.uk/.
We are currently working on a new website, which will be ready to go at the start of 2012 (only two weeks). Here, you will be able to see screenshots, videos, download the source, browse our developer’s Marketplace, and so on.

The things we need help with

Without boring you with the details, we are working on reviving an old Demo world that was up and running a few years back. The idea was to give potential developers something to oggle over, before deciding to start programming with the Engine. We now intend to redo that, in order to reflect the updates that we have/will be making, including the new rendering engine.

What we need, is a modeller/some modellers who would be willing to help out with the project. As I’ve mentioned, this is a totally voluntary project, as we ourselves are volunteers, with the aim of giving developers a chance to make the next World of Warcraft ;), if that’s what they want.
A lot of the assets (models especially) were modelled about 4 years ago, and although they look OK, we have a very different vision for the Demo World, which at the moment is a really tacky-looking landscape with some odd-looking Orcs and really terrible props and architecture.
So, we’d like a modeller to help us out by modelling a few models, mainly architecture, maybe a few weapons, bits of clothing and so on. We’re not looking for a piece-by-piece recreation of the Taj Mahal, we just want to update some of the current assets, and add some more variety.

The other thing that we’d like someone to be able to do is create other models, to help raise funds for web-hosting fees and the small server we intend to host the Demo World on.
I am currently working on a Marketplace, which will be focussed at our developer community, where people can buy and sell their models, code plugins and other bits and pieces, with the aim of using them with the Multiverse Engine. We (the Project Team) will take a small cut from each sale, to help finance the site and hosting fees (as I mentioned above).
What we need, is someone to model some extra assets, which we can then sell to developers as packs, in order to raise the necessary funds for upkeep.

The themes we will be looking at are:

• Fantasy (think World of Warcraft or Medieval, so things like simple newbie armour, weapons, huts, goblins etc)
  • Modern (think cars, bus stops, road segements, small shops etc)
  • Sci Fi (think laser blasters, aliens, sci-fi-themed scenery, armour)

The good thing about this particular (job?) is that you will receive a cut of the sales of your models (I’m thinking 50-75%), as a payment of sorts.
This is completely negotiable, and we’re open to all and any suggestions.

Just one extra bit - the models need to be low-poly, because of the requirements of the Engine, and to ensure the performance isn’t affected too much.
So, you don’t have to be the best modeller in the world, however some skill would be nice.
If you’re interested, just reply to this thread (preferably with a image of anything you’ve done before, but if you haven’t got anything, I don’t mind).

To be honest, we’ll take as many as we can get, as this will be a big project(s), and there are teams on our forums who are always looking for good modellers.

If you can animate characters as well, that would be incredibly useful!

NOTE – CLARIFICATION

I’ve had a few people contact me, who think my team is creating an actual MMO - THIS IS NOT TRUE!
My team is working on an MMO Creation Platform, which means that developers can use the software to create their own MMO. If you’ve read this, and just want to start making your own MMO, please visit the links I’ve put up at the top (somewhere), and make sure to sign up to our forums, where you can get plenty of help. You’ll also be made very welcome :slight_smile:

If anyone has any further questions, or even suggestions regarding what I’ve said up there, please do not hesitate to say them, as I will be more than happy to discuss it here. If they cover something I have not mentioned in this initial post, I will make sure I add it in, for the benefit of future readers.

Also, please feel free to add me on Skype (tristanojbacon) if you’d like to ask more in-depth questions, or want to sign up. Alternatively, send me a PM :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for reading all that!

Cheers,

Tristan Bacon

Open Source Project Coordinator
Multiverse - The Open Source MMO Platform

The presentation that you have posted is a prime example of how one should go about giving a proper introduction and you certainly appear to be serious about your business. Personally I am not available any time soon but perhaps we will collaborate in the future. I wish you the best of luck finding someone.

Thanks for that, it means a lot.

I just don’t want people to think I’m just some kid who wants people to do all the work for them (though if you look at it bluntly, I suppose we are in a way!)
EDIT: Just a note, we’re not kids! We’re a a bit further up the scale, in terms of age :stuck_out_tongue: - Just wanted to clear that up, as it was more of a figure of speech!

We’ll always need modellers to help out with the default assets, so feel free to drop in any time :slight_smile:

Just bumping it back to the top, hope no-one minds :slight_smile:

Dude. Still looks commercial to me. Doesn’t say open source anywhere on that site. Ref link please.

Hi,

Yes, the website is still being managed by the original company, but we are taking it over in March 2012. I merely gave the link to show the original engine. I forgot to mention that, sorry!

Here’s the actual Open Source project: hosted at SourceForge
Also, here are the temporary forums: http://multiverse.forumotion.co.uk/
In the next week or two, we will be using http://www.multiversemmo.com as the temporary site, but that still needs to be designed.

I’ll put those links up in the main post as well, so everyone else can see them.

Sorry about that.

Count me in for some of the architectural models, with one caveat:
I will contact you in the first (ten) days of the new year, because i need to sort some things out.

Nice progress so far.
Well, can’t say that the graphics are very good atm, but hey, they work.
Still, why not use Normal maps and whatnot?
Good luck with your project.

That’s great, thanks for letting me know :slight_smile:

Yes, the graphics are fairly poor, as the last official update (before Open Source), was 2008. After that, the funding dried up, and the company more or less collapsed. Now that we’ve got complete control of the code, we intend to make some pretty huge upgrades, including normal maps (which I don’t think are even in it at the moment!).
Once we’ve got things up to speed, and make some more progress, the actual graphics (as well as the models) will look a lot better - fancy helping out with that? :smiley:

I wish I could, but already have a payed job working on an mmo.

• University exam madness.

You can try kickstarter.com or indiegogo.com for crowdfunding.

Just pinging back to the top.

We have a few modellers interested, but will always be on the lookout for more!

Just a quick message to everyone - Merry Christmas!

However, that is obviously not the point of this message. I just wanted to bump it back to the top, as we’re in need of more modellers. We have a number of projects available for anyone of any skill level to work on, as well as the projects I’ve mentioned in the initial post (Asset packs and project fund-raisers).

Cheers

Tristan

I’ve got a few musical instruments(guitar, violin and grand piano) , basic weapons and a lamp post. Would you like any of those?

I would be interested in helping.

I always have issues with the term low-polly, as it can be open to interpretation; so examples of what your project consider low-polly would be useful to me and perhaps others.

Perhaps, give me an idea of a couple of items to produce, then I can submit them and if they are up to scratch, I can look at providing more.

Sounds interesting, seriously considering helping, especially on the sci-fi end of things. I assume the current models would be available as a starting point?