Modelling a dinosaur: high level details?

It’s even more confusing now …
What you’re showing me is UE4 but I want to do it in blender.
Also, with your mask I can only have one texture applied on the mesh. But what if I want 3 or 4 textures ?

Please, can you guys have the “details on the head discussion” on your own topic ? Because now there is two subjects into one.

You have to do it in UE4, because you’ll be using a tiling detail map. If you did it in Blender, then you’d have to bake the result for use in UE4 and then you’re back to square one. :smiley:

You can have as many as you like, you just keep stacking/nesting the node tree.

@Stan_Pancakes @Musashidan and is this even good enough detail with 71 million for skin in just the head separated? this is a free skin alpha i downloaded somewhere…

this are several strokes using anchored method that somehow they blend together nicely like this…

btw blender its damn eating ram when subdividing stuff, it took all my 32 ram for that and it took probably like two minutes to subdivide to 5 levels :confused:

hey btw Danny you didnt reply my another question lol here… “so then how can i get no boundary issues for example (since you cant sculpt in multiple meshes at the time when doing a stroke then this is a problem you know) because you are not sculpting continuously along the other meshes, but separate from the other meshes instead, so you dont match up the stroke or details in the multires in the boundaries… so is there a workaround for this?”

Ok I understand.
I hav’nt touch the UE4 part at the moment as I thought I had to do all in Blender before exporting it to UE4. I will come back if I have further questions.

Thanks a lot for your help !

I’m wrong… where? I’m not talking about transferring detail to maps, I’m talking about actual to-scale detail size and the amount of polygons required for it. Of course if you do need micron detail, sure, you’ll need those polygons, that’s literally what I said.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but I do my sculpting in Zbrush. You should ask this on the Pablo Sculpting thread. :grin:

As for that skin detail, it really depends on your end goal/purpose of the asset. Personally, I will hand sculpt most of this detail, based on a custom pore brush I created. Lay down the pores first and work the wrinkles in by hand. For work I need to get out quicker, I will use Texturingxyz.

1 Like

and even for zbrush is its enough powerful to sculpt like probably 700 million in a character (yeah if someone has to detail all the body parts LOL…) without splitting it? and also there are advanced settings in case you have to split the model to save performance and sculpt in several meshes as the same time?

Not on the mathematics :smiley:

on this bit:

30 million is only 2 x 4K udims of detail. It’s far from overkill even for a close-ish portrait render.

1 Like

We should split this thread off. I think we’ve derailed it enough. Sorry OP.

1 Like

yeah if 90 million vertices is about 30 million triangles, then the one i just did with 71 million vertices is not even an overkill (but you get some decent detail from the skin and pores), then someone would have to use to like about 200 million then to consider it a overkill :joy: :joy: :joy:

Jeebus, Dan… That’s… quote-mining? Because

unless you intend to sculpt individual hair follicles, it’s way, way overkill

1 Like

even for the low one still its noticeable but lose detail and sharpness

yeah theres actually sculpters doing that i guess :joy: :joy: :joy:

1. You’re looking at an extreme closeup. Do you need that in final product?
  2. How does your base topology look like? As in, how many of those 125 million tris end up on the cheek as opposed to mouth, eyes, or corners of the nose?

Also, don’t count verts, this isn’t zbrush with points. The triangle count is right there :wink:

Sorry mate, my mistake. It’s very late/early here. :rofl:

2 Likes

is more important to take into account whether the verts count or the triangulates count in general?
nothing specific but just enough polycount to sculpt far from decent detail for skin and other details involved specially in the head and visible parts (or all the the body then :crazy_face:)… but yeah i dont need a extreme close up but a good close up to make look believable and photorealistic as possible from a normal camera distance…

I think you’re overestimating the amount of tris/verts/detail neccessary to achieve a realistic result.
Feels a bit like people rendering with 50k samples, thinking it will improve the render or fidelity.

Even the 'big" on your example picture above is more than enough. I mean, just go ahead and position the camera and render it out - if you’re not rendering in some insane resolution, there’s no chance you will notice this fine amount of detail in a normal shot.

1 Like

Then microdetails are the very last thing that will achieve this. Primary/secondary forms and correct proportions are far, far more important than tertiary. Slapping alphas on an underlying incorrect structure will not make it any better. Your sculpt should start to look believable at 100K, not 100 million. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In Blender, triangle count. Your detail is polygons, not vertices. If for the base mesh you take animation topology that already has substantially more detail around mouth, eyes, and nose (for those natural creases), then a good deal of those 125 million are just wasted around those areas.

2 Likes