Modelling a Product - Advice Desired

I am working to model a product to a specific specification and am interested in advice related to improving the quality of the image. My goal is to model this:

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/2981/p1010136hf5.th.jpg

With this on top:

http://www.barco.com/projection_systems/images/DP90_N.jpg

Here is my current result:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/1493/fusionlcpass4mp4.jpg

I am using some features which are new to me. By this, I mean I have never fully explored the options here. I have played with these features

1. YafRay - I have always used Blender Internal in the past as I usually model rooms and need to create a number of views. YafRay’s rendering speed was a limiting factor that drove me to stick with the internal renderer.

2. HDRI -
    I have always been impressed with images that use Yaf and HDRI to light the scene. So, I am trying to mimick that success here. So far, I do not know how much benefit the HDRI probe is giving me. For instance, the “chrome” material on the keyhole and the bolts doesn’t look very chrom-ey to me. I had hoped to get nice Chrome results more like those you see in the tutorials.

3. Global Illumination - I have used AO on my interior renders and never been successful with GI so far. I am using it here. I am somewhat satisfied with the result but not thrilled so far.

I am also dissatisfied in my texture on the box itself. I used a texture I got off the web and used the make seemless feature of gimp on it. I then applied it to the box but you can still see that there is a diagonal sort of pattern that results from ms. This is a common problem I encounter. I never get a texture big enough to texture the item properly. So, I am forced to repeat it. Creating a texture that is properly repeatable is a pain.

So, I just thought I’d toss this up there to see if I could get any advice. If I could get some advice where I have gone wrong with topics like these, it’d be great:

1. Lighting Setup
  2. Texturing
  3. HDRI
  4. GI
  5. YafRay

Any modelling/rendering advice you have I will certainly read through. I can’t promise I will be able to take advantage of it all on this project as I do have some timeline, but I hope to take this opportunity to learn.

Seems like you are competant enough to figure this out. It seems like you are asking someone to tell you what settings to use. That would require like a pure G guru to be able to extropolate the data out of a couple of pictures.

I’m not sure how reliable of info you can count on because it seems to me that primarly what you need to do is to get over your intolerance for doing certain things such as texturing (more).

Other than that it looks fine. I’m not sure what the problem is… That it doesn’t look photo-perfect?

That will require years and years of study and practice unless you are just really really good at this. IMO.

Edit: Oh wait! I do have advice for you lol

You can change the size of the texture in blender itself, in real time without using gimp. Just go to the texture tab and find where it says SizeX SizeY SizeZ and then if you want the texture to grow larger along a certain axis, just go to that Size Row and then make the number SMALLER - this will cause the texture to grow. I’m still not exactly sure if that is what you are looking for.

Are you indicating that this forum is only useful for people who are incompetent and in search of beginner level help? I had thought it was for all skill levels and those with higher skill levels requesting help would be helped by those who could offer such help.

Perhaps this belongs in the focused critique forum.

Moved to a different forum…

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?p=707373#post707373

Anyone interested in giving helpful comments, please follow the link.

1 Like

i wasn’t saying that at all… it just didn’t look like you needed the kind of help that you can get casually over a forum. It looks like the help you need is called experience. Maybe if you provide a .blend file people could help you on settings but from only pictures it seems kinda hard…

Great advice. I will try to provide a .blend in the other thread if I can. Thanks.