Modelling a sword

I have been trying to model a sword (and then an axe) but I just haven’t been able to get the sharp edge right. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial? I have looked in multiple places, but I haven’t been able to find one.

Stop looking for tutorials. They teach you how to use blender, not how to make this or that.

To get the sharp edge right, you are on your own. No tutorial exists.

You will have to show us the mesh. Are you using subsurfs?

GreyBeard

Well, I am fairly new to 3d modelling in general and have been using tutorials as a tool to learn (i.e., I’ll follow a tutorial to learn how certain aspects of Blender work, then I will use that knowledge to make objects on my own). I have yet to find a method that I feel gives me the result I desire, whether by tutorials or experimenting on my own, which I feel I have done a significant amount of time on this.

I will continue to attempt to try on my own, I was more looking for a few pointers and figured a tutorial would be the best option to find those.

GreyBeard: I’m running out the door and don’t have time to post right now, I will do (hopefully later tonight).

Actually in a few of the official blender guides( 2.0 and 2.3) they use modelling a sword as an example to teach extrusion. What they did was have you draw out the vertecies of the “base” of the sword by CTRL+LMB, or by adding a circle of verts and rearanging them, thn you extrude(EKEY) up off of this, scaling down as you go till you get to a point. Then you merge the verts.

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Basic_Mesh_Tools

^ found it, there it is. Just be sure to hit ctrl+N to calculate the normal to the outside. This can be used on all shapes of blades, I’ve made katanas, daggers, long swords, broad swords, scimitars ect. For an axe, I’d draw the outline of the axe head, “fill” the faces in(make sure you make them quads), then extrude it a bit to get thickness, then on the cutting edge merge the verts to their center. Extrude the handle off this or add this object to an existing handle.